Duck Tape Guitar

Guest AlexVDL

Alex that looks very unique! I will wait for Jeremy to see his answer, but I wouldn't use spray can for this! 2 part poly should be strong enough, or actual acrylic! I look at it and my brain Idea Light came on!!!! This will look awsome the same way but with carbon fiber! not the imitation gray black sold around, but the real deal. I will be checking prices soon. Good luck!

well here in tennessee we dont put no finish on ar duck tape - we just slap it on the pickup truck and let it ride buddy . by the way - I love that gitar - it wood go reel good with my mobil home and the kids home made braces YEEEEEEEE-HAW!!

alex,alex,alex...only you could make DUCT TAPE look good on a guitar...those noodle guitars by ibanez really look awful...but i have to admit,you done it good...

any spray can finish will work i think,alex...i would go with nitro,build it up really thick,then sand it back level.

wonder how long before someone tells you to use the "stain black/sand back" method :D

by the way i wouldn't use alcohol to clean it...i think that may cause the corners to peel...just use a clean,dry cloth and buff it firmly but gently

Just when I think that I have seen or heard pretty much about everything, a guitar with duck tape comes along. That is way cool. Way cool. Very creative and very unique.

My only thought or comment is that you will probably need a very thick coat of finish on that thing to be able to level sand it. But it should look way cool.

Guitar Ed

Seriously... any petroleum/oil based products could make a mess of the adhesive.

Acrylic as a sealante may be a much safer. But, as mentioned, test it first.

You do have some scraps of duct tape, right? It can be so hard to buy.

D~s

before i had a real case for my strat, i made one out of duct tape. started by laying the guitar down, then running a strip (sticky-out) around then entire body, but sidways to get an outline (from strap button up to headstock). i then repeated, sticky-in about 9 times. after that, it was just run a strip across the back sticky-in, layer it stick-out on top (sticky to sticky) and inside the case so it would hold strong. ended with about 15 layers of industrial duck brand duct tape. about as sturdy as a mid-high level gig bag.

btw, i went through 2.5 60-yard rolls making this, so unless you feel like invensting a good $20 (real industrial duct tape is quite expensive, store-shelf is maybe $.10 a yard), don't try and do this.

plus, it was really hard and my fingers got really raw from ripping the tape. i don't cut it. cutting it is for EDIT

I found a wallet to go with your guitar... what y'all would call a matching ensemble.

I never thought that duct tape would be vogue. But then again, I didn't understand Disco, either... so maybe I'm not a good judge of what is/isn't cool.

D~s