Les Paul Project

www.gibson.com should be of some help as well.

I'm building a Les Paul right now and have a body template. However, what I'm finding is that my own "errors" cause me to adjust as I go along. Even though I have the templates and specs, there's still a human element that you have account for.

Do you research, gather your wood, think...then think again, and then go slowly. Don't be an impatient bastard like me and try to go too fast. That's the fastest way to mess it up.

Just my two cents worth...

Hey, hold on. Gibson tops are 1/2" right?? And they're binding is 1/4" They leave the sides natural sometimes, so how do they get it just right?? Like, an inch around the edges they plane to 1/4" and then just even it out or something??

Photos of neck tenon and mortice being cut:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...ndpost&p=115056

Scroll up one post for a shot of the angle neck area of the carved top. The LP body is typicially 2" thick at the binding, and 2.5" thick at the tallest point of the carve (around the bridge and tailpiece). This is commonly 1.75" of mahogany, and a .75" maple top, though you can vary the thickness of the maple/mahogany and hide this with the binding.

Photos of neck tenon and mortice being cut:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...ndpost&p=115056

Scroll up one post for a shot of the angle neck area of the carved top.  The LP body is typicially 2" thick at the binding, and 2.5" thick at the tallest point of the carve (around the bridge and tailpiece).  This is commonly 1.75" of mahogany, and a .75" maple top, though you can vary the thickness of the maple/mahogany and hide this with the binding.

Everytime I see that post, I have to skim through it and look at all the pics again

Edited by Northendem