Headstock Decals

demon

I have read (and used) the tutorial on making headstock decals using acetate "plastic paper" but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on other ways of doing it. every time that I have used the method in the tutorial you can still see the edges of the acetate through the clearcoat. I found through trial and error btw, that instead of sticking the decal down with spray adhesive, if you spray some nitro down on the headstock, then, while it is still wet put the decal on and squeeze out the air bubbles, then spray lacquer over the top again, it works as well or better. Ill try and post a pic of one Ive just done (my scanner just broke, the day after I finally figured out how to post pics!) to show you what I mean about the edges. I am currently trying to price up the rub on decals that you get for model kits and so on, if they arent to pricey, ill just get some of those made. :D

i make all my own decals with my computer and ink jet printer. there are dozens of places on line that sell ink jet decal paper. just google "ink jet decals" and pick the one with the best price. once you print your decal you fix it with a couple of coats of acrylic or lacquer. once it dries you drop it in water just like the model decals and there you go.

it doesn't disolve the paper it simply loosens the decal from the backing paper so that you can slide it off onto your guitar. if you leave it in the water too long it will completely separate from the backing..not a good thing.

I bought a bunch of custom made stencils from a sign shop. I stick them on, spray paint with an airbrush (or spray can), take the stencil off and I'm ready to clear. No lines or coats to build up. Of course, multi-colored logos would be a bit tricky this way but for me it works perfectly.

I wasn't able to get very good results using my printer. I would have chosen that method but they just looked very amatuer and home-made'ish. I've seen others have much better success doing it that way than me though.