Should It Be Taking This Long...

to cut my fret slots? I've been trying to cut the fet slots in my fret board with a new Stew Mac fret saw. It's the one with the depth stop. Any way, it doesn't really cut through the fretboard so easily. I'm finding that it's taking way more time than I thought. I've only cut 7 frets and I've put in about 2 hours.

Maybe I should try another (better) saw?

Thanks.

Dave

What are you cutting? Ebony is a lot harder to cut than rosewood or maple. Another thing, though, is the teeth may be clogging. I doubt it, because that saw has wide teeth. One thing you may think about is how much time you spend measuring, lining up, and actually cutting. Some people just cut slower than others. I used that same saw when fretting a 36 fret neck without a radius. I did it in about 3 hours, then did a crappy job dressing the frets on a grinding wheel (test guitar).

sounds like you haven't got the miter box setup properly if you are using the stew mac one, the brass blocks need to be right up against the side of the saw, i have to use general pupose white grease to move my saw thru the miter box i keep my saw that tight, i also don't use the brass blocks for depth at all, so lower them as close to the teeth as you can but still be able to get the blade in and out for the box, that along with tightening the blocks to the saw will help prevent any twisting of the saw (the butterfly slots you mentioned)

use a peice of a coke can or some little peice of thin metal and score a mark for your depth to check the slot depth that way ( much more accurate then a pencil or pen mark on paper)

once you have the saw lubricated in the box it should fly thru the wood, unless it's an old saw, then you might just want to get a new sharp one, or if it's still getting "stuck" in the wood, definitly try scott's candle trick, or pick up a can of dry coat it's a tool cutting edge lubricant

that's how i had my box setup and i can slot a board in under 30 mins.... but i do have pretty strong arms :D

EDIT: woopse, you're using the saw free hand, ok, well buy the miter box and the fretting template... then follow the above... the box will easily pay for it's self in one use by the sounds of how long it's taken you so far (no offence intended)

Edited by krazyderek

I don't know what kind of wood that is, but I can tell you one thing...you need to find out! Reason being, if it's a very hard, dense wood, you may want to consider a glue in method for fretting. Maybe you could try your saw on a scrap piece of rosewood, or ebony and see if it saws with the same results. You really need to know your wood to offset problems later on.

M

The color is pretty accurate on the left side. I found the paypal transaction for this wood and it was listed as Honduran Rosewood. I'm pretty sure that's what it is. It's known to be harder than Brazilian and Indian Rosewood.

BTW, I got the slots finished last night. I found that by using my homemade fence to get the cut started, if I removed the fence and the depth stop, I could cut much faster.

The depth stop and the fence, plus me hold the the blade lightly against the fence slowed me down. I updated my site.

www.downinfrontht.com

Thanks everyone.

Dave

PS

Next project task: Make a slotting jig for my tablesaw!