My Guitar, As Shameful As It Is.

to say its only just begun would be an understatement.

i dont mind the criticism as its my first attempt at a guitar body and i know myself where ive gone wrong. this is really just to show off what ive done so far and get some feedback (hopefully about the edges!) and some good advice on how i can make it better before i put it all together.

http://deadmike.150m.com/mikes_guitar_page.htm

this idea is something im going to work on again and again, once this one is finished i'll make a second with better wood and hopefully better tools getting it ever more closer to the axe ive been dreaming of for about 5 years now!

Edited by deadmike

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the arse is too big... but that's just my opinion.

I also don't think that there's anything wrong with the fact that the bevelled edges don't meet in the middle. If you hadn't said anything, then I would have thought that you planned it that way.

Always make it appear as if you meant to do that. People will think you know what you're doing... and they may even call you an artist... even when you just had to come up a creative way to cover up the spot where an altenator you were fixing fell over and dented the top of the coffee table you were building right beside the workbench.

D~s

Wow I realy like that design and Dugz Ink is right that arse is not to big I think it look's just right you do still have alot of work ahead of you but if you take your time and don't say it's good enough to often you should do fine any way are you going to paint It I think you should!! if so go black maybe flat black that thing would look awesome. :D I really do like that design I may have to do something like it. :D

EDIT:- you know this thing reminds me of the misfits devastater base iam not sure

why but it does.

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

thanks alot for the praise guys, the design is VERY deceptive, and there is a few flaws in the original cut out. the whole thing is too long, its longer than my bass!

so im cutting down the spike on the arse, also the second set of curves arent deep enough, (if that means anything too ya). the the circular parts under the wings arent big enough either, but that might be because the arse is too big, so the alterations are being done in pieces.

again thanks for the praise! i will keep at it and i'll repost when something significant happens with it.

why does it look like jerry's devastator ? because its supposed to be a copy of doyles annihilator. i was hoping nobody would notice. cant fool the experts i suppose.

when compared to doyles annihilator theres alot thats wrong, hence why im so hard on myself. like i say, i'll keep building until i get one thats exact . i fell in love with the annihilator 5 years ago and ive thought about it everyday since. so its not a crush . I MUST BUILD THIS GUITAR!!!!!!

heres the real thing!

an-dv.jpg

actually... thats not the real thing. thats a prototype made by gothic customs which wasnt up to jerry and doyles standards so was never give approval.

arent they just awesome!

now the test is. does mine LOOK anything like that! i

Edited by deadmike

Ya I knew that that thing was familar I was a bit off but there it is any way if I were

you I would not get to out of hand with the alterations your not to far off it look's close but like you say it might look off in the pics do you have any scimatics

or CAD drawings to go from that might help you get it all done right!! B)

EDIT:- Oh ya you should do the paint just like that in the pic or like Dugz Ink said Flat black with gold accenting the edges or with red on the edges something like that would look deadly!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

ive just recently joined a misfits (sort of tribute) band, so this axe would come in bloody handy. the goal is to get it exact. this first attempt will never be exact but if it looks the same from a distance, then i'll sleep at nights.

completely matt black, its the only way....

no schematics, like i said, i drew this up from pictures i found on the net like the one above so some parts arent quite to scale.

do your guitars feel a little oversized matt or do they feel just right?

Well I could say yes they all feel just right every time the first time and make myself sound like real a pro but the truth is that some times when I get an idea for some wierd guitar that might be so cool and I get in a rush and it turns out like crap and I cut it up in to small strips and use them on guitars that I put alot more planing and hard work in to but all this is a part of learing and Iam still learing so the the ones you see are the ones that turned out well because of the fact that I learned from all my mistakes (but I do make alot less of them) :D

"COOL" misfits tribute band B):D

dude it fricken figures somebody else would be doing the same guitar as i am!!!! your anihilator looks nice man, your lower horns are a bit wide though, makes it look a bit fat which is cool! how wide is yours? i made mine about 18" wide, also you going to be doing a single humbucker or whats the specs, mines going to have a x2n with a 27 fret neck, flat black (a must for the design!) cool lets see who finishes there anihilator first man!

bugger!!! someones going to have one first!

youll finish first as im watching ebay for a suitable 24 fret neck... one which i can cut the headstock into a triangle and put half the machine heads on the other side. VERY tricky. the best ive seen so far are ibanez necks... and im not sure about them.

PLEASE tell me where your getting 27 fret neck, i cant get one anywhere. and if i use a 24 fret neck and cut it like doyles in sure it wont look right.

i was going to use a motherbucker pickup . great low end sound and good harmonics. just like doyles. i cant afford his custom made dean markleys.

also are you using modules? i cant seem to find them anywehere???

i hear what your saying about the wings. its because the arse is too big and the circles arent wide enough into the body. ive already chalked it up for a trim. how did you do your edges?????

id love to see how yours is progressing could you put up some pics?

ps, its exactly 18" wide.

Edited by deadmike

id love to see how yours is progressing could you put up some pics?

Ya that would be cool I like the look of this guitar and I think it would be awesome

to get a few ideas and a few helpfull hints/tips out there on how to build this one.

COOL!! Thanks for the link I must add it to my pile of favorites.

the neck i am getting is being made by a luthier friend of mine, its taken him a while to finish though, and as for pictures as soon as i find the cd i have pics on, you guys will see them again! (ive posted them once before but it was a damn long time ago)

when i designed my anihilator i first did the neck, figured out the scale, did bridge placement and revolved EVERY POINT of the guitar on that bridge, the back spike is centered in the middle of the bridge beetwen the a and d strings if that makes sense and its about 5 3/4 behide the bridge (i will have to go check) all in all I went through about 25 variations of doyles before i settled on the one that my body is.

Edited by goth_fiend

bloody hell, youve taken your time with yours! i dived right in and sank!

for my neck and bridge placement, i was going to just stick the neck bang in the center with the 12th fret in line with the tip of the wings like doyles. then use that to place the bridge, with my sloppy design and normal 22 fret neck i summised that the bridge would end up almost on the wings! so thats why i need a 24 fret, but i never even knew 27 fret necks existed!

i even have a packet of skullbuster strings waiting for its completion.

cant wait to see those pics!

:D

thats cause im a little **** retentive bastard!! :D but seriously i wanted to have a design that nobody else in my town could even touch, and with the anihilator, well i think it speaks for itself...i didnt like the feel of those skullbusters, they seemed to thin to me and i normaly play 10-52's!

27 fret necks were only used on a handful of guitars in the 80's and most of them didnt sell very well, i wanted one because i find 24 frets not enough for when I play lead, i know there is a guy on this site who built a 31 fret guitar! (now if only i can find one of those 36 fret virtuoso guitars....)

also what kind of bridge are you using, i have a gotoh floyd rose thats going to be used, also mine will have the x2n like i mentioned with a 10x gain boost switch and 3 way coil split for a little more versitility, keep us posted and when i find that disc i will start a thread here on mine

i tell you damo, i was a mad man by the end of it! chisel was all i had, sand paper took too long and in some parts the gloss faked off really easily, but in others it left a horrid green tint in the grain of the wood.

green was the first coat the cubboard doors had. most of that came out with sandpaper and in a test piece it painted really well.

fiend : dont know much about your x2n and your x10n . ? iim just using the kent armstrong motherbucker. hopefully the reviews are to be believed it will give a close enough sound.

as for the bridge i cant seemn to find a picture of it online, its a matt black top loading bridge, not the same as doyles. i bought it cheap and because it looked good. oit it doesnt suit the guitar i'll get a new one. it has an incredible low action on it , which i like.

im sticking with doyles original design, which he later changed! and having ZERO pots, this baby is wired to hell! if i cant get hold of some modules, this thing will be nothing but pickup and amp.

Edited by deadmike

the neck i am getting is being made by a luthier friend of mine,

Hey goth_fiend dose your luthier friend do custom work atall if so roughly how much would he charge for a 7-string neck I have been trying to find someone who

would be willing to build a easy 22-fret 7-string neck with a custom design at the bace of the fretboard it's a soft spike thing I would suply all the wood and parts

but not the fretwire I dont have that yet now I would build it my self and I will if I must but I would rather have some one else build it since I realy want this design to work and since it's my first neck I dont want to destory it so I would rather learn on a neck that is not as important as this one is.

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!