polyester paints

hey vh is it possible to apply these polyester paints you speak of with a paint brush and sand it smooth or do i need a spray rig?i hate to buy a spray rig just yet.and how do you protect yourself from the fumes while painting?oh and could you please post that paint site you posted a couple of weeks ago?i can't find the link.

you got it backwards scott...its super thick......and aweful dangerous........id wear a full body suit if i could find one that didnt crunch my nuts.....

anyway, id say youd have to spray it....cuz you build up the coat in about 5 steps......tack coat, then each coat gets heavier until the last coat which is a heavy flow coat......when i paint with it, i do thin it and i apply just enough to cover, but there still is some flow out.....

its a whole different animal....it took me about 6 frustrating months to get it down

if you are going to spray polyester paints, you really have to make the commitment to it....you cant just go out and buy a wagner-causfield gun and go....you got to spend the cash for a good gun, invest in a lot of acetone, have a real spray booth, full body armor and mask.....wherever you spray this will smell forever like polyester, so a stand alone shop is best.....BUT, when you get set up and get the hang of spraying something so thick, its easy as pie and fast..........basically you just bang on some polyester sanding sealer, sands up like glass, paint and clear....3 days

yeah i got you.i have NO experience with a spray gun so i am going to start small.eventually i hope to have my own shop.i have alot of ideas for guitar designs which i hope to try out.from past posts i seem to remember that a good gun is no more than a couple hundred bucks(plus air compressor and accessories).that's really not alot of money for me as we work alot of overtime at my job and it pays pretty good.mostly it is going to be a high dollar hobby at first and maybe if my work is good it may turn into a part time money maker or something.if nothing else i can have better guitars to play than most other people.

good freagin luck......its a lot of work....i hate painting, but i like creating....which is why im hiring someone........start out with a devilbiss gun and the go to a sata.....get a variety of tips.....and be sure to match them for what you are spraying as well as the compressor.....most people dont understand that and thats why they have problems getting a nice finish.....the paint should lay down withou any need to sand