Cud's Project Guitar

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So does that compresor seem to keep up pretty well? I know we have been over this before, but what are the cfm requirements of the gun versus what the compressor produces. You are obviously not haveing any issues so im interested in how much difference you are "getting away with".

So does that compresor seem to keep up pretty well? I know we have been over this before, but what are the cfm requirements of the gun versus what the compressor produces. You are obviously not haveing any issues so im interested in how much difference you are "getting away with".

Hey Jay.

I don't remember what the CFM requirements of the gun are but the compressor can do 3.7 scfm at 90 psi and 2.7 scfm at 45 psi.

I start each pass by going around the edge of the guitar. That would usually get the compressor started as the tank falls below 120lbs. It then refills to 140lbs. Then I do the surface and it goes on again.

There's plenty of air in the tank for me to take it off auto and do several passes. I can then turn the auto switch and let it fill up. I'm just to lazy to hit the switch over and over. It really doesn't matter because the gun doesn't pulse or spit at all when the compressor kicks on. I'm using a Husky moisture trap in between two 50 foot lengths of hose. I set the compressor to 50PSI and dial the amount of air used at the gun.

It works fine. Yesterday was the first time I ever used a spray gun of any kind. (Except for the Badger and Paasche airbrushes I used a couple of times when I built model cars.)

Dave

Cool! Thats quite a bit of hose, does that have any effect on anything performance wise do you think?

Yeah it is. I imagine it knocks down the PSI but I don't see any real negative effects.

I think I could attach it right to the compressor but I think it would be better just before the gun. If I could find a shorter hose, even 20 feet, I'd use that after the filter instead.

There are more pics of the setup on the website in the "Finish Stage" link.

http://www.downinfrontht.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I've been away awhile. Vacations over now and I'm going back to work in the morning. Jay, which file do you mean? I used a few.

I finally levelled the first 10 coats of clear today by wet sanding with some mineral spirits and 400 grit. I sprayed 4 more coats today. I'll put on 6 more and level again. then I'll decide if I'm spraying anymore or final polishing.

Dave

Man I love That Green!! It's Like A CREEPY HORROR MOVIE green

Man You really are Doing A great Job on this!! :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Beautiful, man!

The only thing that I'd change is to leave the base wood (I presume it is mahogany, mhmmm?) au naturel... I really like the guitar... It SOOOOO clean and sharp + it's Petrucci inspired... Beautiful!

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

I agree. I decided against it because I wasn't sure I could mask it properly since the edges are rounded. Looking back, I probably would have been fine.

Matt, kinda like the Swamp Thing right? 

Well there You go Now You have A Name For it!! :D

I Like This guitar man and Im kinda Glade blue craped out, Because That Is A great green, You know What This green would Look killer with SUNBURST

and On A old gibson style V.

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Awesome! I read you s spraying Nitro. Any specific brand? How heavy are your passes too? That thing shines like a new penny;)

Thanks. I've been using McFadden's. My first 5-6 coats were light. Mist-type coats. 45 minutes or so apart. Then the last 10 have been wetter, over-lapping stokes. They would go on glossier than the mist coats. Of those last 10 coats, the final 6 were a thinner solution with slightly less PSI (50 PSI down to 45 PSI).

Awesome! I read you s spraying Nitro. Any specific brand? How heavy are your passes too? That thing shines like a new penny;)

Thanks. I've been using McFadden's. My first 5-6 coats were light. Mist-type coats. 45 minutes or so apart. Then the last 10 have been wetter, over-lapping stokes. They would go on glossier than the mist coats. Of those last 10 coats, the final 6 were a thinner solution with slightly less PSI (50 PSI down to 45 PSI).

Thanks, I'm using McFaddens too. I have heard nitro takes forever to cure, what do you think about McFaddens, faster cure?

I recommend you do, Algee.  When I first tried to level, the clear would ball up under the sand paper due to the heat build up from friction.  Mineral spirits eliminates that, evaporates fast and lubes better than water.  And since it evaporates, won't swell untreated wood.

Cool. I'm assuming you do the same thing with mineral spirits as you do with water. It's just reversed kinda :D