Inlay- Just Finished

Clavin

Hi Guys.

I've been busy with logos, etc.. not too much fun stuff, but had the chance to get this one out.

It's Paua heart, black pearl, gold pearl, green gaspeit stone, green lizard strone, pink mussel, and regular MOP.

This is another of my favorite type of inlay- the "most likely no one has EVER done this before" type :D

Thanks for looking!

Craig Lavin

frilledfinished-1.jpg

More can be seen here

http://www.handcraftinlay.com/frilled.html

I hope I didn't break any new rules by posting here. It's been a while for me, and I know things have changed rapidly regarding pic posts, etc..

Thanks again.

Great stuff. I was looking it over. Can't figure how you did the lizard's teeth against a black background.

Who am I kidding. I can't figure out how you did any of it. Yesterday was a big day for me. I graduated from fretboard dots and cut my first MOP block inlays into an ebony fretboard. Mostly ok, but you have pieces smaller than my gaps. Really sick Craig.

Thanks guys, LGM.

I would have rather put this in inlays, but last time I did that it got moved :D

Tools used are the basics- jewelers hand saw with 1, and 03 blades, graver hand tool, and a foredom router. Dremmel is equally useable. No computers, CNC or other new-world technologies save for maybe a digital photo for real image reference.

More soon. I have some really big jobs coming up. A new orca scene (watch out LGM- this ones special.. :D )

And: a Celtic cross, and hopefully a red eyed tree frog should I get the commission.

LGM- I understand. I'm equally busy. We'll touch base one day. B)

Craig

Thanks again guys.

Regarding stone- it's reconstituted stone. Rescue pearl has started selling a few types. It's very variable with how easy it is to work depending upon the type. The green lizard stone is very durable, and works like pearl, gaspeit cracks down whole slabs even as you cut it. It can be pretty frustrating, and it's as fragile when pushing it into the rout as well.

The best way to handle it is use it thicker than shell, and glue your pieces together around fragile areas, then make secondary cuts around glued/supported pieces.

If you don't know what I mean by that then maybe your not ready for the fragile stuff yet. It's not the cheapest of materials.

Craig