DV's guitar

Hot button, you mean that old thread where the sh*t hit the fan?

:DB):D

It's no hot button for me, that's just what everybody turned it into in that thread.

E-Bay has become my number 1 place for exotics and tops.

For bodywood, it's either Hardwoods Inc. (thanks Scott) or Exotic Lumber pretty much.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, God so much going on here! :D

I just got back from the shop, I got one body shpaed, one blank and a piece about 14x8x2 that was the left over! I will be using that to block the trem hole on the Jackson!

I got no pics because the camera is out of battery and it's charging, some tonight but nothing out of the ordinary, I took the Jackson Soloist and traced it, then took the CAD I had for an RG and placed it over... looked at it and used the parts that I liked. I will be carving the body like the JS top with a tummy carve and AANJ, this with a Jackson neck and hipshot hard tail. More to follow later 'cause I got to go out for a while!

Edited to add

Ok, since there are no more post here I will add instead of maing a new post B) .

Here are the pics. 1st is the body, this is roughly shaped, it's like the RG fron the waist down, and from the waist up, I did a cross between the 2, the outside of the upper horns is the Jackson and the inside is the RG, then the lower is the opposite, inside is inside Jackson and outside RG. This made the horns a bit beeffier, that way I will have wood to shape and carve since this is not going to be a complete flat top, it will have some curves to it. The AANJ didn't look too much like the real one because I didn't have one to model from, but once shaped it will feel like I want, and thats what count for me! (this is not a replica or copy, it's mine!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01625.jpg

and this is all that the $36 gave me,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01623.jpg

Made some progress today, I went and bought a template router bit, since they dont have at the shop, they have all the template guides and bit's for them but they are 1 1/2" long and I needed 1" or less. Made a poplar template of the pups and the neck, since I will be using a Jackson, I just copied the JDR94 that I have here. After I finished that I came home and decided that since it was raining I was going to start carving inside, which means no power tools, (I'm not doing more until tomorrow, this sucks) I only got some files and a surform, so this will do I thought... after about 2 hours of nonstop carving this is what I got.

DSC01637.jpg

I don't think that it's too bad for my fist body out of a blank, and I will definately will make it much better tomorrow after I use the sander and maybe the router. I know this is not the in-progress before somebody complains, and I am PM the MODs to move this as you read!

Thanks guys, being my first this realy is a great experience, one thing Igotta say is that I need to find a better way to carve the wood, I got s otired that I pulled the 4.5" grinder for the tummy contour.

Drak, thanks, from somebody with all the experience that you have, it is most welcome.

2 more days to more wok... today I finish shaping and sanding to 180, I will wait until saturday to get the control cavity taken care off. And once the neck gets here, I will take care of the bridge.

Got the neck today, in my way to the backyard, I stoped by the Jackson body and tried the neck, nice fit, but not as tight as I like, then a light came up in my head, if I did the routing like the jackson, that means that the body will be the same. ... I ran outside were the body was laying after I finished the recessed input jack hole, and the control cavity and slowly picked up the body... NNNOOOOOOOO!!!! the neck pocket is about 1mm wider then the neck, I took the measurements right! I double checked! *** happened. I went inside and pull the trusty 6" ruler and checked again the body, this time I measure the paint and not the wood rout, At the edges the difference in the paint buildup and the raw wood is almost 1mm !!! this is unacceptable, I will be going tomorrow to the shop and making a block that will extend from the top of the humbucker hole to the top of tit of the upper horn tip in the neck pocket and gluing it, I think that the plans for a complete transparent blue are going down the drain, and a blue burst black back is in the feature of this guitar.

I decided to go and put 2 strips of mahogany 1/2" X 1/2" from top to bottom about 2" apart in the center. It's drying right now at the shop, I will be planing them and matching the contour tomorrow morning and after that rout the pup cavities and neck pocket. I went and made a new template of 1/4" plastic compose of 1/8" lexan and 1/8" acrylic. I asked how ot cut the shape to the guy at Home Depot and he told me to use the router. I wasn't too keen on doing this so I tested on a scrap piece. This stuff routs like butter and no melt whatsoever, he said that the router was better than a jigsaw or anything else, he said that he uses a trimming router to cut all lexan at the house... I didn't believe it until now, this stuff is great. More news tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip Drak, I will keep it in mind, but the neck felt too loose on th epocket and I would have to build up a lot with paint to cover for this. Wht I will do now is once routed, sand it a bit to have some play with the neck then, paint it, since I always cover the pocket with tape, I think that I will have no problem there! I almost out the door to get the body so see you guys later!

Hey Maiden do you have any progress pic's of you puting on the black epoxy it would be very helpful since iam doing this for my self and I have never done it before I use to just spray on a finish and live with it open grain and all but since I work alot with purpleheart any info on how you use the epoxy would be great.

Thanks

!!METAL MATT!! :D

I sure didn't took any more pics, but go here, this is the method I used to apply mine, if you can get an urethane squeege (spreader) it works better and the epoxy will not stick to it and you can re use it. Once I finish sanding the epoxy down i will do the same thing with the clear filler and then start painting.

One thing I can add with using the black epoxy is to sand the body all the way to 1000, get all the imperfections out of the body, I sanded until 320 and every little scratch and pore on the wood filled up with the epoxy. If you sand to 1000 or higher which I will be doing on a scrap piece I think that that will seal the top wood that you don't want filled and this will make it easier to squeege all the excess and sand a lot easier. I Already painted the 1st coat, it turn out good but this paint is crap, duplicolor metal cast (well it's good, but the nozzle that it came with is not good to spray with)so I weill try to color sand to even the color out, if not, I will take it all out and reseal the grain, and get either some paint from a paint supplier or redo in nitro with the trans blue from Re Ranch (just that the $13 a can have keept me away from it.

Today I colorsanded a bit the guitar since this is a transparent blue paint, just enough to get the center of the front and back a lighter shade to make it a blue on blue burst thing, not with the black edges as traditionaly made. But when I started painting the halo on the edges the paint that I sprayed last night lifted... :D then I read on the can that It says to recoat in 1hr or after 5 days ***, 5 days, I guess that I will be cutting some wood over the rest of the week since I got t owait until it dries to resand, (just to smooth it out) and then recoat, so it will be till late sunday or monday before more progress can be done. I will post a pic tonight to show how it's coming up so far.

Pics from the progress so far.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01649.jpg

here it is, I thought about taping over the mahogany, but Idecided to leave it like this and don't complicate my self more than the necessary.

here is the back

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01650.jpg

I love the way that the input jack came to, looks nice in person and there are no cables or lines when seen from the front. The front got the halo started, but the paint started lifting so I stopped and will wait until sunday before trying again, I think that tomorrow I will be drawing a new body design, and on saturday I will scallop the neck.