Renovated Viper

I would like to share some pics of my current project. It is an Ovation Viper scraped off of eBay. The Poly finish was pounded, the frets had glacial striations and the pick guard was broke and re-drilled for the switches.

Total bare wood strip, wood pick guard out of veneers, Pure Tung finish, replaced the plastic inlays with abalone dots and obtained wooden "Adamas" knobs and a new onlay for the headstock from Customer Support at Ovation.

Although I started thinking blond it has turned into a "Cinnamon Girl".

I'm open to any comments or suggestions.

Bare body and pick guard blanks

Start Here

Blonde pre-assembly

Dipped in Dark Pure Tung Oil

Wood tone and headstock

Inlays and fret repair

Cinnamon Girl

WOW!! not my style but WOW all the same. Beautiful pick guard you have given that guitar new life it has a heartbeat great work!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Thanks all!

Today - the body and neck are drying out. Tung Oil is not for the impatient (me!). In a couple of weeks it should be hardened and ready for a coat of Boston Polish. This will bring the matte finish into a little more luster.

A benefit of tung oil is that any damage in the future can be repaired and brought back up easily.

The pickgaurd should be fairly durable. But, thanks for mentioning it - because I may just obtain a section of that vinyl pick guard material to lay over the pick swath just in case!

• 2 weeks later...