String Nut Slots

Hey guys, just a quick simple question for you (I hope). When I had my guitar built for me, the builder cut the string nut slots for gauge 10 strings. That is fine, but I am wanting to experiment with some Drop C, B, A etc bottom string tuning so will try a .56 bottom string. My question is, will I be able to do this with the bottom string nut slot cut to fit the standard gauge 10 bottom string which is .46? Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

just take a small half roundneedle file to the bottom string nutslots. i had to do this since my kramer was cut for a set of 10s but the three low strings on my guitar are from a set of 12's and the string kept sticking when i was tuning.

just dont take too much off and use some lubrication (pencil lead works great) and you should befine

What sized file will I need. Is this easy to do, I've done no work on guitar at all before other than wiring my guitar. My guitar builder said that the worst case senario for putting a .56 to .60 string in place of the .46 is that I will crack the nut, so I will need to make the slot slightly bigger.. Also how would I know when i've filled away enough? Will this then mean I can't put a .46 string in the future? Thanks.

If you didn't know it already, Rob knowns what he's talking about no doubt. Great pictures also... I bought over 200 dollars worth of nut files myself, long feeler guage set, and the nut spacing tool that stew mac sells like he also has. Making a perfect nut takes alot of patience and know how, and it was actually the last thing I learned to do well, and sometimes still struggle if I get in a hurry to make one. Making the nut is my least favorite job in building guitars and it takes a while until you get a good grasp of how to make everything line up correctly and also sound live a vibrant when playing open strings. I'd personally rather do 3 fretting jobs than make one nut.. lol Although, I would recommend anyone who is serious about building guitars or repairing them to have at least the standard sizes that Stew Mac suggested in their catalog for standard guitar guages. I would make a tutorial on how to make a perfect nut, but there are alot of resources out there already so there really is no need.

I'm glad it's something that a few can appreciate. I went ahead and posted about it in more detail in the 'Tools and Shop Tutorials & Reference' section. I know it's not ideal Projectguitar.com material, since it won't help anyone put a more cool looking glowing skull design on their headstock, but there's a few of us who actually care about how a guitar is set-up and not just how cool it looks.

Rob