Project Kramer

OK, here is the neck, completely stripped of lacquer(except the face of the headstock for now).

All the tuner peg holes are drilled out, but i am yet to clean them out. I only chipped 2 small pieces of wood off by the tuners which is god enough for me. I will just glue back the chipped pieces.

DSC00648.jpg

As you can see under the left bottom hole, there is a piece that chipped off which i glued back on and clamped. Now its hardly noticible. (if you cant find it, dont ask me where it is please! :D )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlG...er/DSC00653.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlG...er/DSC00651.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlG...er/DSC00649.jpg

Chris

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, i just hope you got it for a ridiculously low price, considering it's a carcass from a $129 guitar with a broken, non-original neck and cheap, non-original electronics!

Yes, i got it for

100 bucks

ahh B) Now that i think about it, i got jipped. It doesnt matter, ill sell it to some wierdo on flea bay for 600 bucks :D

Edited by AlGeeEater

Yeap, definately not '80s material, it looks a lot like the Music Yo wannabe Kramers. Still a decent price for $129. The only drawback is the broken neck, but I think is a good price for a beater to practice on. And i wold had left it the color it was, that blue looked great. On the wood, you won't be able to tell what type it is just by looking at the fron, once you take all the paint out you will be able to tell, because this cheapos almost always come with a alder veneer on the front like my Jackson had on. Most probably alder, basswood or poplar once you cut into the wood.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/AlG...er/DSC00649.jpg

this hole looks too low, the tunner is going to stick out like a sore tumb from the front.

The neck is acually pretty nice now. Its real smooth to play, theres no warping, frets arent worn down. The previous owner said it had a kramer neck on it, but it broke or something like that. I can really recall.

Im just going to leave the sanding sealer on. Im pretty sure its either ash or alder also. Its not basswood tho. If i take the seale roff, that means i gotta redo the sealer sand it flat and all that. But im just going to leave it on, sand it perfectly and start painting. I have no patience at all :D

Chris

EDIT: Maiden, heres what it will look like with tuners:

DSC00654.jpg

Pretty sad eh? I cant even fit em. I am going to get grover minis tho, and they will JUST fit.

Edited by AlGeeEater

I'm not really thrilled by the neck :D but for a 100 bucks its good to learn i guess.

beat up 80's kramers pass on ebay alot for low $!

Its so stupid they don't make the old kramer shape anymore at a low price!

I mean its just a body without pickguards and slightly differetn horn!!

the charvel san dimas (1600 $) is has actually just a strat body without pickguard and only 1 humbucker (you could make it cheaper then a fender coz less cosmetics))

well at least your having fun right :DB)

adios

This is kinda how I started out, like you're doing...buying guitars of questionable birthright and screwing around with them.

But in my day, there was no internet, and I would buy them in pawn shops, and I would take them home and strip 'em to see what they were made of and just generally go to town on them and do just what you're doing.

Ahhhh, the pre-internet days..... :D

OK, update guys. I have completly stripped the body of the paint but left the sanding sealer on. I am probaly going to paint the body ford blue or mustang blue with 1 or 2 racing stripes. They will be going from each side of the neck all the way to the strap button and under the body. I hope i didnt lose you :D

The neck i am going to do completly colored. No stain, no trans finish. Im just not sure what color. The reason for this is because i have to fill in some spots on the headstock with filler :D

The neck is ready for paint but i am not so thats going to wait. I still have to sand the sealer flat and perfect today. Sorry no pics, my mom has her camera with her...maybe tomorow!

Later,

Chris B)

I was also thinking about pick up combinations. Here they are

(Seymour Duncans)

Bridge:JB

Neck:'59

Bridge: 59

Neck: Pearly Gates

(EMG)

Probaly a ZW set.

Anybody got anyother suggestions? Im going to be playing ac/dc sounding stuff for now. I also want the sound from "Yellow Ledbetter" by pearl jam.

Im aiming for those sounds...