My Tri-pod Broke

soapbarstrat

• 2 weeks later...

Put some varnish on the clamp and you could gett $110.00 from one of the E-baying hounds! I've got a monopod I built out of my broken import piece of crap tripod and two pieces of aluminum conduit. Very small when collapsed. So small I can never find it when I need to. Oh, well. Hides my palsey when I can.

You and I are probably the only 2 around here who even knows what a tripod is. LOL

uhmmm.... whats a tripod? :DB)

I am, Look ma! No hands! :D

No, actually, a tri-pod is a 3 legged device used to hold a camera still, sometimes at the height and angle of your choice.

You and I are probably the only 2 around here who even knows what a tripod is. LOL

I was the head of the Service Dept. for these guys:

http://www.sachtler.com/

I think I've got tripods covered (as well as the rest of the camera support options. LOL)

Here's a cool little rig I call the Shred Cam:

http://tremol-no.com/images/P5130029.JPG

It's a basic quick clamp, a custom made (by me) alum. clamping block that can be positioned along the clamp arm, and a gimble from a $9 webcam tripod. The gimble can be mounted horizontally or vertically on the alum. clamping block.

I have two of them so I can shoot simultaneous front and rear trem movements. :-)

Nice repair (modification?) on yours, Soap!

Well, I looked at yours and thought how much trouble it would be if I had to mount the camera on the actual items being photographed, like your version works.

Now I'm wondering how the guitar is played normally with that clamped on it.

You do seem handy with hardware. I am too, but this is not the forum to share all of it. (actually no forum is)

Well, I looked at yours and thought how much trouble it would be if I had to mount the camera on the actual items being photographed, like your version works.
I never said my ShredCam setup was the end-all, be-all of camera mounts. It's just another option for folks out there.

I also liked the quick-fix to your current tripod. Simple, cheap, painless...and it works. Easy enough. Done.

Now I'm wondering how the guitar is played normally with that clamped on it.
It's not.

It's actually very uncomfortable to play with that mount on for any length of time. Imagine the 7th fret directly underneath your belly button. Yeah...kind of a pain to play that way, but it gets me the shot I need.

I have some other video of the ShredCam mounts in use:

http://www.jemfest.com/misc/MiscVids/ShredCam1.avi

This was the day after I machined the first gimble block. My buddy Iain and I were heading out to Jemfest in Florida that night and gave the mount a little test. Not heard on the clip is Iain asking, "How can you play with all that crap on the guitar?"....then my answer is heard.

The 2nd clamp on the back of the Strat is the counterbalance (with the two C-clamps for weight). We weren't going for good looks yet; we just wanted to see how well it worked. Unfortunately, we never found the time to get them mounted to any of the artists guitars at Jemfest that year, but we're gonna try like hell in 2005!

You do seem handy with hardware.
You have no idea...heh heh...

I am too, but this is not the forum to share all of it. (actually no forum is)
Well, we can do some stuff, as long as we stick to those ideas that are guitar-related.

Well, we can do some stuff, as long as we stick to those ideas that are guitar-related.

Oh wow. And if I were to do some stuff like that, you know... show a tool I invented and how to build it, and what all it can be used for... Even with a bunch of photos... I could become like a contributing member or something like that ?

So it it wouldn't be like one of those forums ran by a-holes who give credit to some people and not to others who have put as much info into sharing good ideas ?