Gold Fretwire

daveq

I have some gold fretwire from warmoth that I'm considering using on my next project. I also have some 6100 wire that I'm considering. The guitar will have gold hardware and will have amber LEDs so the idea of having gold fretwire is appealing.

The problem is that it is very thin (.090" X .055"). The 6100 is supposed to be the same height but I haven't verified this yet. I have never played a guitar with thin wire like that. Will I notice a difference? The height seems to be the key (I think) for bending, vibrato, ... so if it is really as tall as 6100 wire maybe it will be OK?

Has anyone used this stuff before? Any reaons to avoid it?

Thanks,

DaveQ

• 1 month later...
I have some gold fretwire from warmoth that I'm considering using on my next project. I also have some 6100 wire that I'm considering. The guitar will have gold hardware and will have amber LEDs so the idea of having gold fretwire is appealing.

The problem is that it is very thin (.090" X .055"). The 6100 is supposed to be the same height but I haven't verified this yet. I have never played a guitar with thin wire like that. Will I notice a difference? The height seems to be the key (I think) for bending, vibrato, ... so if it is really as tall as 6100 wire maybe it will be OK?

Thanks,

DaveQ

It'll be tarnish free, but I think you'll find if it's real gold it won't have much wear resistance, gold is very soft.

:D

Thanks,

DaveQ

It'll be tarnish free, but I think you'll find if it's real gold it won't have much wear resistance, gold is very soft.

B)

of course it isn't real gold...it is gold colored :D