Tattoo Printer Paper For Decals?

Mickguard

Give it a go. I would be interested to see how it worked. My only concern would be that whatever you sprayed over it would distort the paper or make the ink run. Doesnt hurt to try. Do it on some scrap wood or somthing.

Here's the logo I'm going for (although I'll probably fill in the hollow letters):

http://tinypic.com/u3g3t

If I do it on a transparency, I'll be able to color in the hollow letters with a marker...on the tattoo paper, if I want color, I'll have to do ink jet....

Hmm...I have some varnish here made for water color paints-- if I protected the ink jet logo with that, before applying the poly finish...will that work?

Probably would but it's always best to print a second one to use for a test piece first.........

Yep, I figure I'll print out a couple of sheets, on the tattoo paper, and a few on transparency paper too (that way I can do the reverse method as well. Then I can do a few practice runs, see which one works best.

If the tattoo idea works, that can make for some really interesting body artwork too--especially on a curvy guitar like a strat or one of those shredder guitars....think of the possibilities!

Make sure the paper won't melt in a laser printer. I've heard of people having this happen before. If it says it's for inkjet, I wouldn't risk messing up an expensive laser printer.

Melt?

I was thinking there'd be problems (like the powder would bleed all over the place) but I didn't think it would melt! Okay, NIX on that idea! Thanks for the heads up...

Anyway, I want to try out Jehle's Jellycaster logo method --looks great. I'm going to pick up a silver ink pen today and print on transparency.

Is there a special adhesive to use, or can I simply sandwich the transparency between finish coats?

OK, That idea sucks. Its hard to peel in one piece.

I was wondering...the tattoo paper I have uses two sheets --the first is for printing, the second applies the adhesive that peels off the printed stuff...but it's true it's really difficult to get the adhesive onto every bit of the ink

What is you use a different adhesive? I have this glue/varnish for the 'napkin technique' (you take decorated napkins and glue them to flower pots, thanks Martha!)...it's pretty sticky....it smudges the inkjet ink...

By the way, the tattoo paper says you can use it with a Black n White laser printer (but not with color, which get hotter)

Waterslide decal paper can be bought at largest I've seen is 11"x8.5" paper at some online hobby shops for model railroad cars... I'll try to find a link here somewhere's.

Careful with that stuff, m'kay? It's for inkjet and the last time I tried that particular brand on inkjet, it hated me (I build models, okay? So I'm a dork... sue me.) Try the smaller 8x10 Testors paper packs... and don't forget to get the ink sealer. It's crucial, and would allow you to still use conventional inkjet printing, and none of the colors would run. The whole shebang at a real-life hobby shop is like, $15 US.

Ink Jet Printers and Laser Printers work COMPLETELY DIFFERENT to each other. If the paper is for ink jet use you might get a good result from a Laser Printer as well. Laser printers can work almost any kind of paper even on PVC. But if it is for laser, or a regular transparent paper, don't expect any good result from an ink jet printer. The ink will not get dry and even hours later, you can remove it from the paper by just rubbing it with your finger tip.

I would like to leave some info here on printers for the people who are interested.

InkJets use liquid inks in 4 colors (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black- CMYK). The inks are simply sprayed on paper to print the image. The papers which are developed for ink jets are able to suck the ink in a very short time. And they much more expensive than regular papers. But the color graphics and photos look much better than a laser printer work if the corrects components and settings are used.

Laser Printers are more comlicated. And it is similar to offset press process in some ways. But they use POWDER, not inks and there are few drums in it. The image is drawn on the first drum with laser. Then powder is applied to the drum but it only sticks to the areas which are drawn with laser. Then the paper rolls on this drum and the powder pass on the paper. Then the paper is treated by heat and the powder melts on the paper.. A small fan cools down the paper and the printing is complete.

Inkjets are much more costy. Inks and papers are expensive and inks dont last very long. But they are excellent for printing color images and photographs on a specific papers and they give professional results. But they make dramatically worse prints on regular papers.

Laser Printers work approximately 10 times faster than ink jets. The images are always sharp. The powder cardidges are a bit expensive but you can print thousands of papers with only one. So it is much cheaper way. They are excellent for printing text and other documentary stuff when the photographic quality isnt a issue.

For printing headstock decals, laser printer is highly recommended.

Edited by kench