I Call It A Tool

thedoctor

Okay, I give up. How do you guys get such great pictures of your guitars, amps, projects? My stuff all seems to be camera-shy. I have tried neutral backdrops, photo floods, 4 meg Sony cameras, software, the works. You guys can throw an axe on the floor and get excellant detail. Mine all look like the assembly instructions for a mudpie. Assist an old man.

Yeah. A good example is my Studio bass in Warmoth's customer Gecko bass gallery. That is the BEST picture I have EVER got and it has that washed-out fog in the finish(it ain't really there) and total lack of detail. I get weak color and those stupid hash marks on the strings. I thought it was low-def problem but I borrowed my son's Sony professional 4meg camera and they are no better. He can't get decent pictures of guitars, either and he runs a videography studio! I think my stuff is camera-shy. Or I try too hard.

Yeah. A good example is my Studio bass in Warmoth's customer Gecko bass gallery. That is the BEST picture I have EVER got and it has that washed-out fog in the finish(it ain't really there) and total lack of detail. I get weak color and those stupid hash marks on the strings. I thought it was low-def problem but I borrowed my son's Sony professional 4meg camera and they are no better. He can't get decent pictures of guitars, either and he runs a videography studio! I think my stuff is camera-shy. Or I try too hard.

And which one of those basses would be yours?

My first bit of advice would be to turn off the camera's flash. If you're getting what looks like a "fogged" finish, you're probably getting too much glare off the body from the camera's flash. Try turning off the flash and/or shooting the body from a slight angle so the flash isn't being reflected directly back into the camera's lens. Turning off the flash will also generally give you better colour saturation, though with slower digital cameras, you might have to use a tripod and the camera's self-timer to prevent jitter.

This one?

mark_uban_lrg.jpg

All things considered, it's not a bad photo. I've seen a lot worse. But with a little bit of enhancement to the brightness and contrast in Photoshop, you get a better result:

mvu.jpg

Even the pros use Photoshop to correct for colour balance and exposure. The blacks in your image didn't extend all the way down to "zero", and the highlights weren't pure white, either. That's why the image looks a little washed out.

• 1 month later...

Hate to drag this old post back up but I have found my problem! Too much light! My granddaughter came in and took about 20 shots of my stuff with my old Mavica and let the flash "fill" as she calls it with no extra photo lights or anything. They all look great and I will post all the photos I owe people as soon as my SON gets off his butt and shows me how. Kids these days!

I just bought a new canon a85 camera, which my brother who is a photographer for a living said is one of the best deals out there now, and it takes really nice pictures.

One thing that I have learned is that you need a background contrast for example this pic brings out the wood on dark background IMG_0212.JPG

This was also taken by a window with natural sunlight coming in. which is the best way to take pics. Artifical light can be too strong and cause shadows... I am no way an expert but I know my pics are much better now than they were before...

-Derek