What Do The Big Boys Use?

jer7440

There's also a book out by Lisa Sharken (and Pete Brown) that goes into good detail about some of the big-name rigs. Here's a link to Amazon for the book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

Summary:

"Two veteran music journalists reveal the keys to playing like a pro. With interviews, rig diagrams, amplifier settings, sound tips, and audio samples, this book reveals how guitarists can capture the sounds of their favorite players, including Eric Clapton, Dave Matthews, the guitarists of Pearl Jam, Metallica, and Korn, plus many other guitarists. 30 photographs and a CD that includes tracks in the style of each of the players featured in the book are also included."

I don't have a copy of the book...yet. I'm still waiting for my autographed copy. :-)

But from all the tone freaks I've talked with, it's a cool reference guide to some of the big boys toys.

The site has me confused.

We'll not really I just think its wrong it shows on Tom Morellos rig that his whammy,delay,eq, and flangerpedals run through his effects loop without a buffer or adapter circuit or anything. Everything I know about loops says that they are a line level not an instrument level signal and this would sound like crap and possibly damage pedals. Maybe his head is modded?

Toms Rig

I know when I saw him with Audioslave also that he had some sort of racked processor on stage. From a couple of hundred feet away it looked like a roctron display. (the color,etc...) But Im really guessing there.

The other funny thing to me is the huge Mick Mars rig, I don't doubt it. But for a guy that just sounded loud and really dirty there's a lot going on there. I cant think of a single crue song that has a ton of guitar effects. Kick start had the talk box. I shall go listen.

syxxstring: Tom definatelly has everything running after the distortion in his rig. the Wah pedal sound he gets is definatelly a result of it runing after and the same with the digitech. it sounds completelly different before and after distortion as well.

i thought that most FX loops came with a volume control on them? i can see what you mean about the levels tho

EDIT. ive just noticed on that rig he has the wah before the amp yet other places ive seen his rig with it in the FX loop. also there isnt a phase 90 or a trem pedal which im positive he's used. i think that rigs a bit out of date but the point about the levels still stands lol

Edited by JohnnyG