Tele - First Project

i've never built a guitar. i have a fairly extensive knowledge about most of the harware and materials used to make a guitar (wood, pickups, fretwire, tuners, etc.). i want to try and build a tele. i own a strat and les paul, so this should be a nice addition, and i've heard that telecasters are easy to build. i'd probably go ash body/maple neck, nothing really special. anyway, how hard is this to do? i imagine that building a neck and getting the radius right must be pretty hard, inserting a truss rod seems like a tough task as well. maybe i'd buy a premade neck from stewmac or warmoth or something, but i'd sort of like the satisfaction of doing it myself. i realize this is a very general question, but could you give me a few answers to the effect of how hard is this to do, what type of tools will i need, how much will it cost me, can i get a nice playing guitar my first go around, etc. thanks

hey axo,i would love to help...but these questions are very broad in nature...there is so much you need to look into before deciding which rout you will take.

but read around in the pinned topics in each section,and then read all the tutorials on the main site(projectguitar.com)

you will learn much more that way than you will in this topic,i am sure of it

Yes, that seems like a good combo for a tele.

As for building it - it is not that easy. Your questions/concerns are valid and a search of old posts on this site will give you many answers. Additionally, books by Hiscock and Koch on guitar building are must reads (IMHO). I am constantly rereading these.

I would start there to address your first questions.

Good luck and welcome,

Bill

alright thanks guys iw ill do that. before i start doing this though, what sort of price am i looking at? assume that my pickups cost 150 bucks together. everything else will be standard good quality hardware. and nothing special with the wood, ash and maple.

Edited by axo151

axo, if I may call you that, you seem to be a lad with some time to spend on supthin as worthwhile as building a guitar so I'm going to make a suggestion. Buy a cheap, maybe evn crappy, kit for $150.00 to $200.00. Spend some real time on every little part of that kit and don't expect anything really good to come out of it. Avoid disappointment and you will be ready for the next step: your OWN guitar. Built just the way YOU want. Cheap kits are a blast cause there is no fear of failure! You will save every penny you spend on the kit by learning what it really important in your OWN guitar. Listen to the guys that disagree with me, though. Can't be right all the time.

hey guys, thanks for the support. at the moment, i don't have a lot of free time on my hands. i'm a sophmore in highschool near boston. the northeast has some great schools, and i got tossed right in the middle of it.......i go to a very good private school which requires a lot of my time (school starts at 8, i'm rarely home before 6, sometimes not even till 10, and then ive got hours and hours of homework -- and im slacker by their standards!). i've got a girlfriend too, that takes more time. i still manage to squeeze 2-3 hours or so of guitar playing in every day (theres always a guitar on my knee as i work or sit at the computer). i've had a lot of interest in guitar building for about a year, and i messed around this summer with stripping an old guitar, taking it apart to look at how it was put together, etc. i love old guitars and old amps, and i love guitars that feel great. the desire to have a guitar that felt great AND played great is what lead me to guitar building. anyway, eventually i will get around to building a guitar, and i think starting from a kit sounds like a great idea. thanks for all the ideas and support, maybe i'll find time after christmas to start reading up on this stuff. if i could get to the point where i actually know how to build a good sounding and playing guitar, i would be overjoyed. anyway, keep up the good work everyone, and thanks for the tips.