Dv's Guitar II

I started yesterday on the next guitar. After finding that the Ash blank has worm holes up the @## on 1 side I decided to planne it to 7/8" glue a mahogany blank 1" thick, (which is drying as I type this) use the good side up and the mahogany as the back. The shape is a mix of the 2 guitars that I love from ESP, the Viper (which I will be using with the waist like Perry did his 7) and the F, from the waist down it will be like the F, and the top the viper. I just finished the drawing and will begin cutting tomorrow. I will use the neck from the Squier that I got until tax day and I will get a Carvin replacement for it, since it is the same fender type neck pocket! I'm still arguing with my wife about the color, I said it will be blue, and she said "Oh not another blue guitar!!!" so I'm debating between green and red, this thing will be completely red if I decide to go tht way! Even the neck will be red, front and back.

Hardware for now will be a tom (recessed) with string thru with EMG 81 up and down.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Maiden go with the green!! I think green is way cooler then red and I think your wife is right on this one B)

I cant wait to see some pic's this thing sound's cool

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Here is a pic of the drawing.

DSC01731.jpg

I already cut the top and glued the mahogany back to it and is resting in the shop until tomorrow at night when I will be over there to start cuting the back and routing to the top shape, if I got enough time I will begin shaping over there, a lot easier with the nice power tools at the place. This is the 1st time that I use 2 different woods for a guitar, or that I work on one this type ever. So I will have to bee extra careful when shaping in order to stay within the top and not go to deep into the mahogany.

More pics tomorrow night.

Wow great design!! :D but I dont realy like the heal but that's the only thing I don't like but who know's how it will turn out in the end It may work out great, and one more thing Maiden "green" green all the way that design is screaming for it man!!

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

I know Matt, I don't like the heel like that too, but I want to have good neck access, so that's how it is going to be. I plan on giving this guitar to my son in a close future, and do the same design in a 7 string neck thru with a Carvin neck, I'm practicing on this in how the carve and all the other stuff comes out. Once I'm satisfied, I will do the neck thru, I don't plan on buying a $200 neck and then messing it up.

The neck is almost the same shape that I gave the Squier, it should ne alrightsince I got no complain about it.

DSC00861.jpg

and is sticking out like the Warmoth double cut guitars, just shaped a bit like the AANJ

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Mai.../bluetribal.jpg

More work done today, I cut and trim the mahogany. Holy crap, mahogany loves the router bits, it will let you know in a heartbeat, and before you know it, tearout time! But this is my design, so all that's left to do is a bit more sanding of all the area to make it look like there was nothing wrong there. I got disappointed by this top. I thought that the area in the center of the bottom were the controls go will get smoother once I sanded, but it didn't, this will leave me no other choice but a solid color top. and see thru the rest, don't know yet.

DSC01743.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01742.jpg

Pics so far.

Lookin' very good!

To bad you had top troubles; it'll still look good solid though.

TBH, I don't really fancy the grain on that top particularly; it's not particularly interesting for swamp ash.

Anyway, I'd go for a black and chrome look on this guitar; maybe spray it silver flake with black candy coat?

Anyway, I'd go for a black and chrome look on this guitar; maybe spray it silver flake with black candy coat?

Funny you mention this, because I was thinking in a silver flake top, just to were the carve starts, then allowing the grain to show there, filled with black epoxy and then clearin with candy green, red, I thought about black, but I haven't found one in spray can, other than the night shade stuff for car tail lights, I got some I brought from Germany, but is not compatible with poly, and I plan on using it on my new Jetta.

Do you know if there is anything like this available ?

but i wont even attempt that for a long while

Dude, this is my second guitar, it's hard, but not impossible, just practice wood shapping on scraps and you will see that it's not that difficult.

Dude, this is my second guitar, it's hard, but not impossible, just practice wood shapping on scraps and you will see that it's not that difficult.

if i had the cash and time and experience, however little is needed, i would totally do it, but im workin on my first one right now, and im running into a little problem of how thick i can make it, which means im gonna bring it up top again i guess

Man Maiden that thing look's deadly it's way beter looken than I ever thought it would be, To bad about the top but I know you will make it work for Ya!! and one more thing forget what I said about the heel that look's great know that I see the full guitar body cut out :D good work I cant wait to see more B)

Hey Maiden what was it that caused that tear out on the top was it a planer?? if so do you have any acsess to an wide belt surface sander? you see I have had the same thing happen to me with softer woods and the wide belt sander work's great for that, but the only problem that you would have is that you've allready done the shape of the top so you would lose some of it, but you could redo it. But I just wanted to ask. hear's a pic of the one I use in the shop I work in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...ec12090shop.jpg

Matt, I realy don't know, I could see it from where Ibought it but I thought that planning it will take care of it, well I planned 1/2" off and it's still there. And onm the other side the grain was better looking abut as soon as I planned down abotu a 1/4" (this was the one I started with to thickness the body, a lot of wormholes appeared, and they were not the hole thingy bit the ones that run across the grain, like long veins. I tried to sand it out, but no progress so far, I will let it be! Too muck hassle, I think that the finish I have in mind will look great on it.

1nf1d3l , don't give up dude. I got one job, ARMY, from 6:30 am till 5:00pm, then is the 2 kids and the wife. then the place I work on only opens wed and fri until 9:00pm all other days is until 5:00pm and on weeekends depending on volunteer work from 9:00-5:00. And believe the money ain't there, if not you will see me working on nice figured wood, not straight grained mahogany and swamp ash. Were theres a will theres a way, plus this way I get more experience for when I get money to get the good woods.

Hey Maiden just a waring watch out for the wormholes If you hit one just right with a router bit it will tear out a huge cunk and it might destory your whole guitar, I know It's happend to me before and you may still have another problem if worms laid any egg's at all some time down the road you may end up with a big problem B) I might be going over board hear but beter to be safe than sorry, if I were you I would start over but that's just me.

Im a bit too far fpward, and like I said this is practice that I get for when I can afford better wood. I will leave it like this, almost all routing is done with exeption of the pup and control cavities, and the recess for the TOM, which I will do once I get it. Just routed the neck pochet, I have a template that I used for this, and I tested the neck on the template and it was tight, once I routed, I had to buy a new 1/2" bit for my template follower because the one I had was 1" and it was kida anoying to place a spacer between the template and the guitar. Dissaster struck again, but it's staying like this, The bit is just a tad bigger than the bearing, and it routed a bit wider than the template, I will say between 1/32 amd 1/16" on each side. I will just cover the bottom of the neck cavity while painting, and hope that this will build up enough to make it a little snug.

Neck is getting reshaped from fender to something a bit poity, like the carvin or close to LGMs. The fender round thing will not look in place on this guitar.

Got some progress today, I scraped the carving to make sure that the edges were sharp and not rounded from cutting with the rasp, I also carved the contours between the horns and neck pocket. I also beveled the back at a 45 degree and rounded the neck heel. I'm still debating how to set up the controls, and I haven't done any more routing (pups and bridge) 'cause my StewMac package haven't arrived yet.

Like I mentioned before I shaped the strat headstock to look a bit ,ore poity, kinda like Jeremys' I think it looks good and it will compliment the body, but will definately won't be there for long, I got plans of a Hetfield/Armstrong Carvin neck, just because I'm running a 22 fret 25.5, if not I would be using another Jackson, but once the bridge is on theres not urn back. But I'm in love with this shape, so I will be making a template, to make another, but 7 string in the future.

Front

DSC01746.jpg

Back

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01748.jpg

Notice the lighter shade mahogany, they had one that was way darker than this, this one was called like some "not honduran honduran mahogany" I think that they meant that Hunduras can't ship the mahogany out, so this is hond mahogany planted else were.

Edge of lower horn

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01749.jpg

NICE B) Man it's look'en realy deadly I realy like this design if I where ever to copy a guitar your's would be to one :D just kiden I would never steal from you man HAHAHA :D

good wood on the neck I think that headstock came out realy cool!!

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Ok, after I messed up the neck pocket and had to rout to shooth it out, I was about 1/8" deeper than I had to, so I had to plane the body to get it to the right depth. I coulkd haved angled it down about 3 degrees and it would have been good, but I don't like the angles feel, and I wanted to recess the TOM in order to have a lesser degree of bent in the strings going into the body.

You will notice that the carve in the body is a bit slimmer from what was taken from the top. But I still like it, and wasn't up to the long hours to recarve it again. I made new templates to fit this body for the control cavity and the cover and made one for the recess of the TOM, I need to get a template bit like the one Stew Mac sells, the one I got is 1" and is freaking hard to make templates to use with it.

After I got home, I decided to epoxy the grain black, this will have a finish like the Gibson, PRS with a natural back and colored top.

The top will be a solid color, with the carve in transparent color showing the ash black filled grain and then the sides same as the top until it meets with the mahogany were it will be stained. The all will be cleared.

Here are a few pics for you guys to see. Let me know what you think.

DSC01752.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01751.jpg

Errh , what are you talking about? It's already being strung and it fits nice, also what difference does a 3x3 have that a 6 inline doesn't other than appearence at the headstock?

link to headstock if you missed it.

Um, if its 3x3, the skinny E would be closer to the bridge eliminating the lenght promblem, but there isnt one so it doesnt matter

Holy $hit this thing's comeing along fast I love how this is comeing man that is a strong design you have there, and I realy like how your doing your bridge iam recessing the TOM on my impaler aswell In fact I do it like that on all my 7-string's

It look's and feal's great. I might have mised this but what color are you doing for the top?