A Cool Little Acoustic Project For My Niece

This guitar is pretty interesting. I started designing it a while ago and finally finished it up, almost. I still need to do the final setup and string it. It will be done tomorrow. Anyway little guitars like these are great ways to use scrap and test out some acoustic guitar pocesses without fear of deviating from the standard designs. I have built a few little guitars for my sister (one when she was 5 and another when she was 7). I also made a cool little triangle shaped guitar for a friend a few years ago. He named it Pyth!

Check it out: Heart Shaped Guitar

~David

Very interesting. Not quite my cup o' tea, but I'm sure she'll love it :D. How did you do that neck joint? It's definitely not traditional. Does it bolt on, or is it glued? It's really giving me some strange ideas for my acoustic attempt (coming soon). Do you think it's possible to blend to neck into the body of an acoustic? It would involve some work. But I use the upper registers of my acoustic more than most people, so it would be a huge plus.

Where do you get saddle blanks so stinkin thick? Do you make them yourself?

The neck joint is very simple. I made a solid neck block that the neck will sit into. I then used furniture bolts coming up through the back of the guitar. I'll have more pics of that soon. It works very well and can be completely adjusted if need be.

I have thought about an integral neck joint before. I have seen a couple decent attempts. Have you seen Doolin Guitars? He makes an interesting double cutaway acoustic guitar. There was another maker that did something similar to the neck joint on my single cutaway electrics but I can't remember who it was. If I do I'll post it for you.

The saddle is a wide piece of bone. You can get them here: Allied Lutherie - wide bone saddle. I use them on all of my acoustics so I can get the intonation perfect. You just can't get as close as you need to with a 3/32" piece.

Very nice guitar!!!

Speaking of interesting neck joints, I recently visited a luthier who built some awesome acoustic guitars. We got on the subject of neck joints and he shocked me by saying that he didn't make neck joints nowdays. Get this.. He aligns the neck up and epoxies it to the acoustic body. I thought he was joking, but he was dead serious. I was concerned that the neck wouldn't hold up like that, and he said that the guitar I was playing was done like that over 10 years ago and hasn't shifted or moved yet. Just curious if anyone has every though of that method. He claims that with the super strong glues nowdays, you don't even have to make a neck joint... Very odd, but neat at the same time.. lol

hey myka, do you think by chance you could like put your hand on/near the guitar or something and take a picture for size referance because I'm having trouble seeing how small it is, to me it looks like a normal size but i know its not because not even I (6 ft tall) could play that if it was normal size with that heart shape let alone a 5 year old. That wold be great if you took a picture with a ruler or something there for size.