Neck Through-angled Wings Or Neck?

If you glue the wings at an angle, you would still have to remove the material from the neck-thru part of the blank to get it parallel with the top of the wings. The only time you wouldn't have to do that is if you're wrapping the body wings around the front of the neck-thru blank, but then you'd have to angle the mortise that the neck fits into. But then you'd still have to do something with the back.

LOL! No, I just wanted to verify if what he's describing in that post is that he cuts out the neck through blank with the neck portion already at an angle, so he doesn't need to angle the wings at all?

Sorry man, I've only been speaking english since I was about 1 1/2 or 2 years old and my 'rocker' phase severely clouded my brain, so I still have trouble explaining myself B):D

are you asking US if NEAL MOSER is building his guitars in an acceptable way? :D  B)

the man is a master of guitar building...his is not the only way,and it is not the way i do it,but it  most CERTAINLY is acceptable

:D Glad to see your a fan of Neal , If you want come join the forum at http://mcs.acidpit.org/ . It would be nice to see you there.

Edited by Executioner606

are you asking US if NEAL MOSER is building his guitars in an acceptable way? :D  B)

the man is a master of guitar building...his is not the only way,and it is not the way i do it,but it  most CERTAINLY is acceptable

:D Glad to see your a fan of Neal , If you want come join the forum at http://mcs.acidpit.org/ . It would be nice to see you there.

well i have been there.....but i get my fill of guitar building forums on this one.

i go in and read from time to time...i really enjoy neal's guitars.

I know Neal is very experienced and makes a great looking guitar, but I really don't like the idea of all that run out in the neck - I wouldn't ever use a blank cut with the grain so far off parallel to the neck, so it seems pretty counter productive to angle the neck like that. It does let you use a shallower blank, but that's the only benefit I can see.

I wanted to debate this on the Moser forum, but the admin had screwed the pooch on the setup so I couldn't register as a member without sending a signed declaration that I was over 13 years old to the board operator. I didn't care enough to do that, especially since they didn't include a mailing address in the email I received! :D

In all likelihood the neck-portion of your blank will be longer than the body-portion. So make sure the thickness is enough, then cut the angle in the body portion (not the neck portion). Make sure (double sure) you have enough thickness everywhere so that when you plane the body-portion true (after you cut the angle), you won't end up being too thin. THEN glue yer wings flush to the body-portion of the neck blank.

Like Setch, I know Neil Makes A Great Guitar BUT......I'd do it different as well.

You need Neck Angle and If you have 2 1/2" Neck stock Why couldn't you take the angle from the body side instead of the neck side? I've always thought that when you cut the neck stock after glueing Make your angle from the body side since it's not as crucial to have the body side flat as the fingerboard mounting surface. Here's an example.Body_BlankEDIT.JPG

I didn't mean to say the body side isn't crucial to have flat but that it's easier to get a level surface on the neck side from your table sawn surface. Then band saw the body side angle into the blank.

Edited by PerryL