Hey Guys, Im new to these forums (obviously). Thought Id sign up here for a few reasons

(1) I have made the rather ambitious decision to build a guitar or two for my own ammusment in the next year or so ( I have virtually no woodworking experience )

(2) Musicianforums (of which i am also a member) is overrun with pathetically annoying people who cant have a logical disscussion to save themselves and just flame enything that moves for no reason whatsoever.

So far Ive planned out (sort of) 2 guitars.

guitar number 1 (which im building first) will be a custom designed strat-like guitar. it will have strat style horns, but a slanted back half like a fender jag (im doing this so i can move all the controls back so they arnt in such an annoying place). it will have a 22 fret bolt on neck, similar to fender necks, but ill make a custom 4-2 style headstock. The Neck joint will be countoured a bit (probly just slanted) so there is easier access to the upper frets for my little hands. Pickups will be a SD-JB in the bridge (taken from my Shecter C-1 classic when i get it) and either some hotrails in the neck/mid, or some hot livewire singlecoils, i havnt decided yet. The other hardware and woods have yet to be decided on.

Guitar 2 will be a Neck-thru design, 24 fret with a 3 piece neck (and my 4-2 headstock again), and a walnut center (as i have a whole walnut tree in my shed out back B), there must some good wood in there). it will have a C-1 style body with a figured top. and thats about as far as ive got at the moment.

the woods need to be decided on. Unfortunately, becasue New Zealand is so small and secluded, alot of stuff is hard to find and/or expensive. ive been looking into native woods a bit, and Rimu is the only thing i can think of so far that would be suitable (I think its like mahogany, but denser and darker), so any help there would be much apreciated.

I also have my wonderful Squier strat (with my uber flash custom mod of flipping the neck and bridge pickups around cause it sounds better) to practice on once i get my C-1 classic. ill have a go at making the neck contour on that, aswell as refinishing it, and maybe refretting.

So im lookin foward to gettin to know you guys better (this place seems to be a much stronger comunity than musician forums) and seing some kick arse, uber sexy guitars on here. :D

rhoads56 (ormsby guitars) is in australia, if your that desperate for wood, maybe he can sell you some of his stock?

PM him and find out. he has some really nice stuff. however, i dont know if its for sale.

ps- i agree, i didnt even bother joining mimf, just a bunch of old traditional guys that are stuck on their ways and can be serious a$$es at times.

also, their forums look like it's stuck in the 80's. really not fun to sit and sort thru all the stuff.

Edited by asm

asm: He never mention MIMF. Beside, MIMF is a great source of information. I do sort of agree with you with the fact that many of them are "traditional" guys but there are also some more "radical" ones that hang out there. The only time they are asses is when someone posts before reading the New User FAQ that either answers their questions or tells them to search the Library, which many times will also answer their questions. Many of the guys on there -- such as Bill Moll -- are really nice. They use that forum software so they don't have to have someone else host it for them.

Welcome friend!

I dont like musicians forum that much either...

Full of pissed of people... :D

Hope you like your stay! B)

yay, after using the handy handy search function i have found my thread (which was moved without warning)

Thanks. I hope I enjoy my stay too.

and asm, i think if get that desperate for wood ill just buy a body from stew mac or warmoth or sumthing like that. I should be able to scourse some wood though. maybe from a local furniture shop, they manufacture alot of furniture themselfs on site, so Im sure they will have some usable wood.

yay, after using the handy handy search function i have found my thread (which was moved without warning)
Because you posted in the wrong topic area.

"Announcments & Test Area" is for test posts and/or introductions.

"Solidbody Guitar & Bass Chat" is for....well, you know....not test posts or introductions.

Post in the appropriate topic area, and things don't have to be moved.

Less work for us, and less work for you. It's win-win.

Thanks. Enjoy the forum.

Because you posted in the wrong topic area.

"Announcments & Test Area" is for test posts and/or introductions.

"Solidbody Guitar & Bass Chat" is for....well, you know....not test posts or introductions.

Post in the appropriate topic area, and things don't have to be moved. 

Less work for us, and less work for you.  It's win-win.

Thanks.  Enjoy the forum.

Yea. I figured that my thread as much related to advice and opinions on my first two ideas for my project guitars (spose i probly should stated that somewere huh?) as it was introductions. but oh well. Ill post about them later when ive done some more planning/ material gathering.

Any comments on them now by any chance? (guitar number one will be Blackkburst with dark chrome highlights around the edges btw. Id like to thank guitarfrenzy for his "making a strat from scratch" thread, casue thats were i got the idea for the colours from. one of the pics looked like the guitar had a sort of metalic purple highlight around the edges which i thought looked awesome).

Thanks guys.