Wesley's Flying V project

Guest AlexVDL

thanks alex.as ya'll can see i still have alot of work to do to it.the wings are alder and the strips are walnut.i have step routed the bridge pickup cavity so that the pickup will screw directly into the wood and be at the correct distance from the strings.i am going to do the same thing to the neck pickup.the t.o.m. is recessed to compensate for no neck angle.the blemishes you see are only excess glue which i will take care of later.(please excuse my feet.damn things show up everywhere)

i'm thinking of either red,green,or orange stain with about 10 coats of clear.any suggestions?i'm leaning towards emerald green.i am also thinking instead of stain maybe a transparent coat of color(you know instead of coloring the wood color the first coat of clear)

I like it.

The color on the linked guitar is real nice specially because it's a little transparant.

The stained red with black could be nice too.

So many people, so many opinions.

Anyway what you've build so far looks good.

What will the shape of the head look like? standard v-head?

Gerard :DB)

What I forgot.

I really like the concept of the neck thru body. I wanted to do that myself but I got an ESP Fender style neck from a friend. Well, the Guitar I'm building is the first (of many, I hope) so I thought let's make it a fender style head.

I glued the neck though. Maybe it is a little misfunction in my brain but I'm a little neurotic for bolted necks. My Fender has a bolted neck and it works perfectly, but it gives me an unnatural feeling.

Gerard :DB)

i glued a bolt in neck that was smaller than the neck pocket on one of my cheap guitars but i also bolted it.i kind of like the smooth sound it gave it.(the glue)

i will be making all of my guitars neck thru from now on because i prefer it but the next time i am going to make everything 100% from scratch.(i used a carvin neck in the v)i want to go all out.i've got my eye on this really nice piece of ziricote in a wood shop in austin.i am thinking 3 piece korina and wenge neck with ziricote wings,kahler flatmount,and emg pickups.first i need to get a real router though.my dremel just aint cuttin' it.

i am also going to try my hand at inlays.i was going to start simple,like my name in abalone. :D

hey its lookin good! and what beutiful feet you have :D

hey for the headstock and the nut wearring problem what i do is make my own nuts, and slot the string slot in the direction of the tuner, this way it doesnt bind up in the nut . and graphite works well for this, it kinda lubes the string.