Aerosol Lacquers To Reach Transculent Finish

kench

I'm slowly reaching the finishing process of my first built guitar. I didn't want to invest money on a spraying equipment at first, but I guess maybe I should have. As aerosol cans aren't too cheap, you can't have all the finishing options that sprayguns provide and I will probably continue building guitars.. you know what I mean..:D

Anyway.. for this time I will stick to aerosols as I already have 3 cans of CLOU brand Nitrocellulose Lacquers. 2 cans of high-gloss and 1 can of satine which is going to be used on back of the neck. It is a Les Paul style guitar with really nice flame maple top. And what I want is a true transculent color (like golden) on top with no burst. But I can't find tinted (transculent) color aerosols here in Turkey. All are solid colors like the Duplicolor acrylic lacquers.

My concerns are that I don't want to lose the hologramic effect on the flame figure by staining it with dyes. Staining it raises the flame figure and make it more obvious which is nice... but the hologramic effect goes away (It looks the same from all angles). I'd prefer to have a solid color or to shoot with only clear coats rather than losing the hologramic effect of flame.

If I use "shellac" as a stain/sealer/color coat... and then shoot the clear gloss, will I get the same effect as if I used a transculent color coat?

But more importantly, in nitrocellulose based finishing; what are the disadvantages of aerosols compared to professional spraying equipment and are there any special tips and tricks while using them?

Since you mention CLOU I must guess that you are overseas. I don't know overthere but duplicolor metalcast are translucent colors, I painted my guitar with it. I know over seas, at least in Germany they sell this type of paint, it's acetone based and it comes in translucent black, red and blue. Not many choices but with the red and blue you can come with many nice shades from green to purples. And I think that they should have a yellow out by now, because while I was there they were advertaizing that it was out soon.

Yes I'm overseas.. I'm from Turkey. CLOU and Duplicolor are well known brands here... but Duplicolors are a bit different.. they come from the Netherlands or Germany, not the US made ones. They have different series and presented in different cans with different logo. Here is their website I just found. I will check if I can find the Metalcast series.

Unfortunately I've never seen the "Easy Work" can before. But a month ago I saw orange, blue and black aerosol "stains" in a shop. They were not lacquer and I'm not sure they are suitable with nitrocellulose top coat.. But it was not expensive. I think I will test the orange one to see if I get something similar to the finish I want.

Dude, thank God, I'm in a giving mode since it's Christmas. Here you go, Duplicolor.de transparent colors It was so simple, I know you could have found it, but I'm not sure english is your 1st language. Just click on the available colours. You are in luck, Duplicolor here don't have the black one.

jsully. No ot's not a stain black sand back, I haven't tried that on ash, but I got some scrap wood to try, I'm sure the grain will get darker, then I could use regular grain filler instead of epoxy. In that one its black slow setting epoxy. Then sanded back.

Yes I've seen it last night while checking their website.. But it doesn't matter unless I can find it in local stores..:D The ones I've seen here had solid colored lids except the clear laquers. So I didn't think there were any transparent ones. I will look up.

Btw.. The Duplicolors are mainly Acrylic or Synthetic.. I was planning to go for Nitro-cellulose.. and I already have 3 cans of clear Nitro. I may skip Nitro though, if I can't find a suitable transparent coat.