Phantom Mesa/boogie Model?

StreamLine

well, i just put down a £100 deposit on an old Mesa/boogie head which pretty much wipes the floot with ANY amp i've played so far (marshall jcm800/900 / tsl/ dsl. peavey xxx/ jsx / 5150, newer mesa dual rec, triple rec, single rec, heartbreaker, list goes on..)

its an '86 DC-10 (stands for dual caliber) which is an amazingly versatile and just great amp. looks exactly like a Mark IV model but can be very very brutal, can do amazing warm cleans with great reverb, and i can get down Vai's or Petrucci's tone down pretty much perfectly!!

amazing amp, but there seeems to be precious little about it on the web...

all i found was this manual, 4 reviews, one photo and that John Petrucci (Dream Theater) and Jim Root (Slipknot) used this model...

medc10.jpg

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Dual%20Cal%20DC-10.pdf

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data...10_Head-01.html

but nothing else, and mesa website has nothing on it.... so wondering if you guys had any experiences / know anything about either the Dual Caliber series or the head itself??

it utterly rocks though!

:D

Roman

from the reviews cept for the last one it sounds good, and it says mesa on the front of it so its quality, you could always call up mesa boogie out in california and ask em questions bout it, id definetly buy it, i recently bought a mesa single rectifier its so incredibly sweet ill never get rid of it

MzI

They respond well to email if you link through to the Hollywood store at least. Wouldn't be surprised if they'd send a manual for little to no cost.

JT in the Hollywood store is incredibly helpful and sells some killer pedals that he makes.

could you give me a link to that store's site please?

They respond well to email if you link through to the Hollywood store at least. Wouldn't be surprised if they'd send a manual for little to no cost.

JT in the Hollywood store is incredibly helpful and sells some killer pedals that he makes.

could you give me a link to that store's site please?

There's a link on the Mesa main site up at the top.

http://www.mesaboogiehollywood.com/

thanks, syxxstring, i've sent them an email.

they do offer great pedals and guitars! :D

i totally agree with the Santana like tones, Drak. the lead channel is THE overdriven Californian sound boogies are known for (and modelled!).

i was amazed at just how heavy it can be with the EQ!

its a real shame boogie no longer offer the EQ, it was one of their best innovations IMO...

though, with 3 channels of the dual and triple rec, PLUS solo boost you can argue they've gone around that...

though the old boogie do sound better - to my knowledge thats why Petrucci keeps Mark IV's in his rack for the lead tones.

i feel much better and much more confident about making the right choice.... i always knew it was a great amp, but when you spend THAT much money (it was quite a lot more than your Rivera, Drak!!! bloody UK prices :D ) you kinda begin doubting your reasoning!

thanks guys, really appreciate it

B)

Roman

i play a dc-5 head (60w version).

it's way more versatile than my bandmate's dual rectifier.

and i love the eq.

got a standard marshall dual-footswitch, now i can switch the eq and reverb!

very reliable. onetime someone kicked it from the 4x12, slight crack on the left but that's it.

eddie

^woah, cool, i didnt know they made a DC-5 head, though i was aware they did have have DC-3 and DC-5 combos!

its kinda funny....... i just got a trade offer for my stuff....... for a DC-5 combo! is that irony or what???!!!

:D

Roman