This Is A New One

Well, i was looking around the sims custom led site. Just looking around and i saw they did painting of guitars too. Well from that page they have a link to a page called the chrome zone. This stuff looks like real chrome, just wondering if anyone has any ideas how they did it. I know its not "real" chrome, but still have a look and write what ya think.

My Webpage

This is one nice looking guitar.

23.jpg

But I heard Ibanez is bringing out version like this in 2005. Looking at detail page......I suspect this guitar top hasn't been chrome painted, but has mirror type pick guard material glued on top of guitar. Just like real Vai's "Bad Horsie" guitar.

More detail

Here actual Ibanez guitar........you can see the material ending at edge of guitar.

Ibanez detail

Still great looking guitar.

Edited by RGGR

Well, i was looking around the sims custom led site. Just looking around and i saw they did painting of guitars too. Well from that page they have a link to a page called the chrome zone. This stuff looks like real chrome, just wondering if anyone has any ideas how they did it. I know its not "real" chrome, but still have a look and write what ya think.

My Webpage

Man I just took a look at that web page that's some cool stuff A few of my guitar body's like my IMPALER would look deadly done like that :D I think iam going to ask them a few things and see how much geting this done would cost me

!!METAL MATT!!

I think this is how it's done!!

Hey check out this link I think it along the same line's as the last one it's a spray on chrome hear's the link it's the teck info

http://www.sprayonchrome.com/techdata.html

EDIT:>free DVD from Spectra Chrome, this stuff is realy cool!!

http://www.sprayonchrome.com/Gallery.html

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Hey guy's I gust got back an email from Martin Sims of Chrome Zone guitar paint

and he said,

send us your guitar bodies bare wood sanded to 240/320 grit. We can work with all types of wood. We would need your body for 3/4 weeks. Shipping usually takes about 2 working days there and back. We do take work from Canada no problem.

To have the chrome effect on your guitar bodies will cost £350.00 a piece.You will see many examples on our web site and there is a price list

for spray work as well.

I hope this help's any one that want's a chrome guitar

!!METAL MATT!!

Yep you would have to realy want a chrome guitar B)

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Is that stuff better then the mylar stuff? Just curious cause i was going to use mylar. Is that basicly a big pick guard? If it is, then i dont know if i want it. I was going to use mylar cause it has a sticky back, so i wouldn't have to bolt it on. I just think the less screws people see the better. I hate having a guitar that is all bolted and screwed together (like pickguard wise) i kinda it makes the guitar look like the whole front is just bolted on.

Here is my concern with what they are doing.

I know the system they are using, I know the systems most guys are using, and if you are GREAT with the systems they look very good, sadly the finish will deteriorate over time with the movement of the wood as I've stated before, but, take a look at some of these pictures from Sim's site

http://www.simscustom.com/images/gallery/c...ne/large/07.jpg

http://www.simscustom.com/images/gallery/c...ne/large/01.jpg

http://www.simscustom.com/images/gallery/c...ne/large/03.jpg

http://www.simscustom.com/images/gallery/c...ne/large/16.jpg

pictures can hide a lot, you can see massive orange peel in these pictures, they don't all look like that, but it's the risk you take. Would you be happy paying out $700 and getting a finish like that?

That is why I have not offered chrome finishing, I've tried many systems and have not been happy with them, I've been 98% happy with some with the initial finish, but over time with wood movement I was dissappointed.

Doug at Trillian guitars is doing chrome finishes, I believe he's using the cosmichrome system but I'm not 100% sure. I haven't seen his finishes but in talking with him via email he says he's got it down very good. Although he and I have butted heads in the past it's all water under the bridge, you all know Scott from this forum and he's shown some very nice work (rosenberger in case you're not sure which Scott I'm talking about) and I would suggest talking to Scott or Doug if you really want a chrome finish done. I can't speak for the work directly, and I can't make any statements as to the longevity of the finish, maybe he's come up with a better system than I have, I don't know, but it beats sending off to england if you're in north america :D

Jeremy, like I have told a few times before the new system works wonders, its ability to build up the film as you spray is awsome, and I was in Jersey the other day and saw a Chopper that was done with this paint, (the one ALSA) sells. He was there when the gas tank and tins were painted and he says that they spray all this liquid over the pieces and you can see the chrome building up on the surface...

My only big concerns is that after going to the ALSA site and seeing the way the paint is applied, and knowing how wood, especialy bare wood reacts to water, what will happen when they start pouring this massive amount of water inside the control cavities, bridge and pups routing, neck pockets???

For those of you that haven't seen the way this is applied look here .

Maiden,

I've used the Alsa system, you're overlooking the HUGE variable in a chopper vs guitar, and that is WOOD. Wood shrinks and expands, you end up seeing the grain lines in it, that is where it's not a great product for a guitar. On a bike where you are dealing with steel it's not an issue, yes, it still contracts and expands, but you won't see grain lines like in wood.

It's also brutally expensive to experiment with, (I learned the hard way LOL, I thought it would be easy and no issues) plus you better have wicked guns and a dust free environment, there is NO sanding this stuff or you are starting over at square one again.

It really is a wicked product, just not suited to a substrate such as wood that moves that much.

Sorry jeremy, I think you read my post wrong, I love the product, and I'm concerned about a right application of a guitar. not just because of the grain, but with the problem of the wood bloating when all the water runs thru it. I myself will be against doing it to a wood guitar, but if somebody wants a chrome guitar, I could suggest getting an acrylic JS and having that body chromed...

I think this method of painting is not suitable for wood.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, lgm (and anyone for that matter) i would like ur opinion on this. I was looking around the jemsite and a guy there just got a guitar chromed by sims. However, he only did the front. Please look at the pics he posted cause to me it looks like its just a gaint pickguard glued on and the edges rounded over. Let me know what you think and if it is how would they do it.

pics here

there is thing called liquid crome!!!!

lgm brobably knows much more abou that (since he has done tons of airbrushing)

it is paint for a airbrush, i dont know it it sels for spray guns, but still.

the guys that do finishes on bikes (if you know any bike shops in your area) could sell you some, they usualy have it!

well, as i said, LGM could maybe help you more with this.

Save yourself the expense and trouble (here).  You'd need the kind with the mirror on the back, to avoid scratching the reflective surface.

Which one would i actually buy, cause this seems like the best way to go. Is it basicly and acrilic sheet with chrome mylar stuck to the back of it with the acrlic on the front so the mylar cant get hurt? It so this is exactly what im looking for. It doesnt say prices tho, and there are a lot of different types it seems, which one is the one you talking about?