Is This Finish Possible To Do At Home?

samdjr74

Hi All,

I want to make a retro 60's surfer guitar for my next project but I want to make it a ruby red big flake metallic finish like this (in red though)

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.p...=&cat2=&q=&st=1

Is it possible to create this finish without an auto body shop? And if it is where should I begin to look for the paint?

Thanks,

Sam

Is this possible?

Shoot a base coat. Let it skin over, and then sprinkle glitter over it. Shake off the excess. Spray with translucent color like Metalcast. Then start spraying clear to build enough thickness to level the finish.

No, I've never tried this and I wouldn't expect it to produce a factory finish. But, maybe it wouldn't look so bad.

Is this possible?

Shoot a base coat. Let it skin over, and then sprinkle glitter over it. Shake off the excess. Spray with translucent color like Metalcast. Then start spraying clear to build enough thickness to level the finish.

No, I've never tried this and I wouldn't expect it to produce a factory finish. But, maybe it wouldn't look so bad.

I've heard of car guys doing that with success. I tried it on a bass and wound up having to strip it off.

Well one thing I have going for me is my brother is an auto body mechanic specializing in custom paint jobs but unfortnely he's out of work now so if he ever gets another job in that field I guess he would be my best bet. I was just hoping that there was a home brew way of doing it, thanks for all the responses.

Sam