Clay Inlay

jch4v

Hey,

I have a plan. If anyone has ever done this, or knows about this kind of stuff, I would appreciate your input!

I want to route out a chanel with my NEW dremel on a piece of walnut (going to be a les paul special body) using a Celtic graphic. Then, instead of using pearl or some other kind of inlay, I was thinking of filling it with clay. Something like this:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz332/18/products...am=0&ig_id=2020

Do you guys have any idea how this would work?

Also, as a side note... with any kind of inlay, after you have glued in the inlay.... what do you do about finishing the surrounding wood? Lets say you inlay on a guitar body and then want to paint/stain the body... how do you go about covering up your inlay?

Thanks!

J

I'm certainly no clay master, but I'm sure that it shrinks when it's drying. Also, would you want to put a fretboard in the oven at 275 degrees?

As for finishing the surrounding wood and the other questions, I'm not the one to be answering them as I've only done 1 proper inlay (gibson trapeziod blocks) and I have to say that I'm less than happy with the results (but not too bad for a first go)

If you were to use clay ( i have a feeling Gretsh or someone like that use to use clay dots but don't quote me ) you would have to approach the inlay like any other inlay and have the completed inlay ( or component parts ) finished first and route to the outline of the inlay rather than doing the cavity first and stuffing it full of clay afterwards as it would, as already stated, shrink. With regard to finish, if you're thinking of an inlay on the guitars body then you will have to take the finish up to just before final top coats and then do the inlay as it would look fairly odd if you had a shiny guitar and a non shiny inlay slap in the middle of it.

Just my thoughts,

Jem

Edited by Batfink