Neck To Body Angle

Just received my neck through body blank yesterday. This will be my second guitar. My first of which I made while in college, (About 30 years ago) Anyway, what should the neck angle (if any) should there be? I layed a straight edge on the neck and measured the distance between the straight edge and where the bridge will be installed and its about a 1/4". Is this enough?

My first guitar had a bolt on neck and when I routered the neck pocket, the angle was to much and I had to put a tappered shim in the neck pocket to bring the strings closer to the body. I have NO experience with neck through guitars. All was accomplished without great web sites and tutorials. It turned out OK. It plays good but there are certain blemishes in workmanship. My sites were high as it started out to be a semi hollow (es335)but then quickly realized it was WAY above my skill level. So the chunk of wood ended up solid in the shape of the 335. gadawful heavy. Since I didn't know where to purchase inlay dots back then i drilled holes in the fret board (after the frets were installed) and melted solder and filed it flush. LOL

BTW, westhemann's tutorial was a great help. Would like to see the finished product.

Edited by idrum4food

BTW, wesstheman's tutorial was a great help. Would like to see the finished product.

thank you.i hope to get around to it soon,but life is complicated,and i am still flip flopping about bridge choice on it....

speedloader trem or speedloader fixed bridge?

i need to wait for the fixed version to come out i think so that i can order one and see if that is what that guitar wants.

for your question...neck angle depends on a few factors...but the main one is bridge choice.

where did you buy your neck thru blank? if it was from carvin and stewmac they don't have a neck angle, you can get away with no neck angle if you use a fender style hardtail bridge or a recessed floyd rose, for tune o matics, badass, quadmatics, schaller wraparound , gotoh warparound etc, you need a 3 degrees angle, i suggest, since you don't have experience with neck thrus, to use the hardtail, Neal Moser http://mcs.acidpit.org , www.nealmoser.com sells thru body neck blanks, totally handmade and you can have the option to order a neck with angle, can chose between maple and mahogany necks and can choose your fretboard material

there are several real nice surface mounted bridges out there. some have the option of putting the strings through the body. those are a bit more work though, howver i did it on my very first guitar. came out okay too.

you might have enough stock on the tail of that blank to shave an 1/8" or so off its thickness to effectively lower your bridge some. that way you don't end up with high action. you could do the same using a tremelo bridge.

get your bridge though BEFORE you start cutting any wood and work from there.

-Doug

there are several real nice surface mounted bridges out there. some have the option of putting the strings through the body. those are a bit more work though, howver i did it on my very first guitar. came out okay too.

you might have enough stock on the tail of that blank to shave an 1/8"  or so off its thickness to effectively lower your bridge some. that way you don't end up with high action. you could do the same using a tremelo bridge.

get your bridge though BEFORE you start cutting any wood and work from there.

-Doug

My guitar blank is going to be 1 1/2" at best when the sanding is done and I'm pretty sure you need at least 1 3/4" for a floyd trem. I'll probably use a surface mount bridge of some sort. Any suggestions

Edited by idrum4food

stewmac has a couple:

hipshot, and schaller with rollers. the hipshot is for string through,and the schaller is for top mount and the strings go in the end like a bass bridge. they are also brass.

Allparts has an even better selection. personally, i buy as much from them as possible because they are real nice people. what you buy depends on the look you want.

your "thin" guitar is fine. i visited ed roman last summer in las vegas in he had 2 dozen "thin" body guitars for over $3000 each. i came to the conclusion that when a guitar maker is done, however thick or thin it is, doesn't matter.

they key is to have fun!

-Doug