Pickup Cavity

I know this has been covered before, but I'm still not sure. How do you get the part for the ears deeper? What's wrong with just making the entire cavity 1 1/4"? Also would anyone know the best way to drill a hole from the pickup cavity to a les paul pickup switch. Should I just use a long drill and drill from the neck pickup to the switch cavity or drill from where the guitar strap button would go?

Thanks.

dril them. then you don't have to cut the screws off.

as for the wire tunnel, well that's done before the top is glued on with a router. if the top is already on then you're going to have fun with long drill bits. be sure to cover the body anywhere near the drill bit so as not to scratch it.

-Doug

I snip them too, :D . Regarding the drilling, I guess you could try from the neck pickup cavity to the switch cavity. Shortest distance I can think of but make sure your hole is just right and think about any interference to pickup adjustment.

Edited by Southpa

If you have a long enough bit, you can come in from the output jack hole, and make a hole from the upper corner of the electronics cavity through to the switch. The hardware stores sell really long bits, but then if you want a waaaaay extra long bit you get one designed for lamp makers.

You might pass through the neck pickup route along the way depending on how deep you are. I'd try to make it under the pickup route so you have a clean channel and the wire won't have anything to get hung up on. Then you could even replace the wire without removing the pickup to do the fishing.

I've done two like that in solidbodies with no tops. It's really scary because you keep thinking "what if the bit is walking and it shoots out the back?" But if you use a thick enough bit, like 3/8" it won't bend. You can tape a straight edge to the back of the guitar to give you a trajectory guide to follow.

dril them. then you don't have to cut the screws off.

hmmm...5 seconds with a pair of wire cutters(snips outside of the back woods) vs an extra 30 minutes with a router adjusting depths and hoping you don't miscalculate and blow out the back into your floyd cavity( if you have one)

i think ALL manufacturers should do it the way southpa and I do.

i really can't see the benifit.