Rebuilt Explorer

recenlty i bought this off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3768598275

I bought this cus i thought it would be a fun project and i could built it and sell it.

well one of my friends jumped at the idea and instanly wanted to buy it. Since hes a good friend im only gonna charge materials cost. Here are the specs on what he wanted done to it:

-Revese headstock (it looked sooooo evil on the CAD program but will be some work to do)

-A Gibson like G on the headstock (painted or made out of MOP inlay material)

-Snow camo head stock paint

-Snow camo diamond plate pick guard

-White bridge and tail piece (maby)

As far as hardwear most of it will be pre owned comeing from a number of sources. Progress so far has been next to none. I stiped the paint off and made one end flat so i can gule some wood to it and i already did glu some. I will post pics later tonight since i got to go to work.

If u have any idea that would make this look even better feel free to comment.

ghost flames with the camo colors on the body would look cool. maybe some white coved pickups. and do something a tad differeint with the headstock, i think the camo headstock and black body would look weird. maybe the letter/s in camo on the headstock...

heres the link for pics so far:

http://community.webshots.com/album/247273504WGWFIA

1nf1d3l, as far as the ghost flames that would look so evil and bad a$$ looking!!!

As far as the head stock hes the one whos paying for it all so what he says goes, but i will pass the word along since i agree with you that it would look stange since the rest of the body is flat black.

BTY dose any one have a link to where i can learn to paint pickups¿?¿?¿?

heres the link for pics so far:

http://community.webshots.com/album/247273504WGWFIA

1nf1d3l, as far as the ghost flames that would look so evil and bad a$$ looking!!!

As far as the head stock hes the one whos paying for it all so what he says goes, but i will pass the word along since i agree with you that it would look stange since the rest of the body is flat black.

BTY dose any one have a link to where i can learn to paint pickups¿?¿?¿?

go for it then man. the ghost flames would look killer. im sure he'll agree

how would I paint the ghost flames? As of right now i do not have a paint gun, we plan to use paint cans since its so little painting that we have to do.

that, i do not know. id go in and brush it, but thats just me.

today i ended up breaking off the 2 uper blocks since it was too flimsy and the main peice of the real neck was not flat. it was such a pain in the a$$. my dad also pointed out that i was supose to glue it with the grain not agianst it. I have a problem rembering that simple rule. But i cant wait untill i finish this beast.

Grain orientation is #1, but I have a small suggestion. Two words: Gorilla Glue.

If you use it though, make sure you have it clamped like you want it because it AIN'T comin' lose! I have done three headstocks with this stuff, and two of those I was told "It'll never work". Those guitars have seen a couple years' hard service since then with no problem!

Edited by wyldbil

litchfield- Thank you very much for that thread. I studied that post so much even befor i had the guitar and good thing i did cuz it was a lifesaver. as far as a jointer i dont no have one. to make the wood square I grabed a carpenters square and clamed it on the origanl headstock and used it as a guild. i made the cut with my Craftsman 18volt trim saw. this thing looks small but it got the job done right. also on ur thread u had a bolt on neck which would be more easy to control, this thing has a set neck and where ever the neck goes the body goes.

wyldbil- We are on a tight budget. 250 is our spending limit and the guitar was around 115. Gorilla Glue is quite expensive but I my dad says it is worth it. I am using original titebond since i had some leftover from when i build my storage area/ amp stand.

id actually recommend using titebond over gorilla glue, tho it may be stronger, gorilla glue foams up and makes a huge mess

MzI

True, but that's why the gods made knives and sandpaper!

Besides, you aren't sure of a good bond unless you do have a bit of squeezeout.

On the other hand, I have seen your work MZ1, and have no criticism whatsoever for your methods. I still drool to think about that single-pickup Flying V you made.

That thing is a MONSTER! :D

Slayer- Can't wait to see what you end up with. You have cool ideas and look to be off to a good start!

ok been a while since ive posted. as far as the explorer i shaped it to its final shape (sorry no new pics yet). Ive been digging up parts and so far i found a no name chrome TOM bridge and tail peice that i sandblasted and pinted black. I also found a 3 way toggle switch that was from my jackson. And the other day the pickups came in. a pair of mighy mite humbuckers, the only problems is that i dont have the wiring diagrams but ill do some research and find em.

Hey Slayer-

I went through the same thing when I put some Mighty Mite MotherBuckers in one of my Hamer Blitzes. Have since lost the diagram, but I want to say I got it direct from the Mighty Mite website.

Here's a link to the Blitz. I think you'll appreciate it. Got it from a pawnshop for $150, and it has an original Floyd. I love it when those places don't know what they have!

http://users.chartertn.net/snpowell/smelltheblitz.jpg

Edited by wyldbil

That is SO nice it!!! dose that have 24 frets? if so u are one lucky person to have found that. as far as pawnshops ive never been to one and there are like 3 of them near my area, i guess i need to start going.

You got it bro- 24 frets! I consider myself MONDO lucky to have stumbled into that one. It is one BAD@$$ guitar alright. Only thing- it weighs a TON! The bodies of those are made of mahogany, but I swear this one feels like rock maple. I have another of the same guitar and it's WAY lighter.

Pawnshops take a lot of patience. I would guess out of all the pawnshop visits I have made, I'll see an underpriced treasure 1 out of 100 times. I have bought two pawnshop treasures, ever.

litchfield- thanks for the advice, ill keep that in mind for next time. the head stock is solid as jackson KV4.

As far as progress ive made none since iv been waiting for parts. heres the list of the parts:

black Gotoh style lefty tuners.

1 11/16 nut

2 might might humbers

stock pots with black speed knobs

no name TOM bridge and tail peice

stock input jack and plate.

might mite stap buttons.

As far as the pick guard we decided to make it out of 16 guage sheet metal since it wont cost us a dime to make! For the truss rod cover we might do something fancy like innitlas or something else on the CNC machine.