Grades of wood

Well, after deciding that I just dont have access to the tools required to build a solid body from scratch :D, I thought I'd buy one just to experiment with finishes: LesPaul style body. This is the only place I can find that's close to where I live.

I want to buy the one in the link. It is 'alder' but I was wondering, are there different grades of alder? How can I tell it is a good wood? Hmm.. also it says there is an 'arched ply top'.. what does this mean? Does it mean it's plywood and would this affect tone?

many thanks

Michael

Cool thanks for the link! :D

Saying that wood A is always going to be just Wood A could be difficult since the amount of grain pattern in the would (growth rings) etc. will effect it's tone. The density of the particular species can change the tone as well say Canadian Maple versus European Maple.

Your best bet would be to ask the seller about the ply top directly, while your at it find out if they have a return policy on goods in the same condition as were shipped to you if your not satisfied when you recieve it.

Usually figured woods are the only ones that get graded.

It's funny to think that the woods we like the most (see also most Tom Anderson tops) come from the most f-ed up lookin' trees. These trees have tons of knots and twists and turns. Anything but straight growth. :-) My theory is: The closer the tree was to the chemical waste dump, the better the figure. LOL

Typical body woods, like basswood and alder, *can* be graded, but are generally cut in such large quantities that it'd be crazy to grade them all. If you can find a wood supply store that does grade alder and such, go for it.

A "ply top" usually means that the body is two (or more) pieces of wood. One piece is (x) thickness and the next is (y) thickness, glued on top.

Glued pieces of wood are much stronger than wood alone, but they *can* (not always) detract from the tone you're trying to achieve.

Remember: Figured woods only go from 1A to 5A. There's no such thing as a "10A". If someone tries to tell you the wood is a 10A or a 20A , tell them to stop smokin' out of P.R.Smith's bong as you walk to a reputable wood supply store.

just so you know i built my first solid body with a jigsaw,a file,sandpaper,and a dremel with routing bit.i didn't even have a base for the dremel but of course you need that too.i already had measuring tools.you're looking at around $100 worth of tools to do it the caveman way.some people do it with even less.

Wow thanks for the help guys,

all I need to do is enquire about the ply top..

and I'll ask about the return policy too brian

westhemann, when I started thinking about building the body from scratch I was planning on cutting the body with a handsaw :D the only reason I gave up on this idea was because the majority of body work/shaping was in the routing of cavities, which I need a router for and I can't really get access too. I was even thinking about chiseling the wood out! Heh in the end I decided it would be better to start with a ready made body.... I'm hoping one day I can build one from scratch like most of you guys have B)

Remember: Figured woods only go from 1A to 5A. There's no such thing as a "10A". If someone tries to tell you the wood is a 10A or a 20A , tell them to stop smokin' out of P.R.Smith's bong as you walk to a reputable wood supply store.

I'm going to tattoo this to Kevan's forehead. He's been having a major fit over this and I've been telling him the same thing for roughly the entire 6 years that I've known him.

There is no such thing as a "10A" top. Paul Reed Smith has *NEVER* claimed to have "10A" tops. The "10 Top" that PRS puts on their guitars refers to the "top 10% of PRS figured tops" this grading is for looks only and has nothing to do with sound. a "10" top might make a guitar sound worse than a guitar with a "1A" top.

In conclusion a "10" top is a VERY GOOD LOOKING "5A" top. If anyone tells you differently they are lying.

it works exactly like a router only smaller.that thing you see next to it is a router base.you put it on and use it just like a router.just take your time and don't try to cut more than about 1/4 inch deep at a time.it works great in alder,mahogany,basswood,all the softer woods.maple is tougher but it works you just need to replace the bit after about 2 hours of routing.the other woods you will get more use out of the bit with.just go slow.it takes me about 2 1/2 hours to rout a pickup cavity.it,s fun though so time flies.put a bandana over your mouth while working with wood though.alder especially will make you sick as a dog if you breath too much sawdust.i only work with it for about 2 hours at a time(wearing a mask or a wet bandana)then i imediately take a shower to clear off any sawdust which may linger.and do it outside of the house.

yes there are many different brands at different prices,some with more or less accesorries.it,s called a rotary tool but many people refer to them by the brand name of the most popular one which is a dremel.any place that sells them also has a section of specialized accesorries such as router bits,cutting bits,stuff like that.