Newbie First Atempt

Maris

Hello,

Thought i'd post a couple of pics.

This is how far i've got.All done following tips and guides from this forum (thanks).

First put on a dark brown stain and rubbed back.

Then pretty much following Myka Guitars Tutorial

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=12912

followed up with yellow, red brown and black. I probobly should have bleached the wood first as the finish is a bit darker than i origanally wanted, but as all things it's a bit of a learning process.

Mahogony back just grain filled and stained with brown. then whole guitar rubbed down to micromesh 12000 grit.

Just need to put on the clear coats of nitro out of a can. Then i'll think about the neck.

front.jpg

back.jpg:D

Very nice top there man B) that's some wild maple what are you useing for pickup's and all that, do you have any pic's of the neck

!!METAL MATT!! :D

I was sacred stiff of making a neck so i ordered one from Warmoth, maybe next time i'll give it a go.

Used a strat style neck off ebay for the cavity. but i wanted the les Paul head so ordered one.

The body was made with routing templates from stewmac. i'd originally was going to have a tone switch but decide against it, routed a cavity for one anyway. so its just two humbuckers one volume one tone and a 3 way.

As for pickups A DiMarzio air norton for the neck and a Seymour 59 Model for the bridge.

i am planning on having a go at some inlay work on the neck. never done it before, so i'll be sure to read up on the subject here. Im a goldsmith by trade so have got all the tools (i think) not sure i've got the patients though B)

Thanks for the reply

Mark

:D

Oooh...that top looks like it's really on fire...that's your first finishing attempt? Damn.

Putting Dimarzios and SDs together in the same guitar...whoa, that's almost like putting a Ford engine and Chevy transmission in the same truck! At least, in terms of controversy. Both of those pickups should be a good combo.

Hope all works out well with your neck fitting. Be sure to enter this beast in GOTM when you get it all finished up. It'll get my vote just for that top and finish.