Prs Mccarty

undone

I posted my first post earlier today because I am having trouble getting my low E string to intonate properly. It is a Les Paul Classic tuned drop flat (low E is C#) I am using Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky's 11-54 so its not the strings. I have had Les Pauls for years but just recently started tuning to drop flat. My band is wrting a ton of material in this tuning so I am there to stay.

I heard that some Les Pauls are notorious for intonation problems especially in low tunings.

My question is this, I used to have Macarty's and never seemed to have intonation trouble. I know that you cannot adjust the intonation on them. Would a Prs Mccarty be a better choice for de-tuning to drop flat? Would it be more stable? They seem pretty confident that thier guitars come pre-intonated from the factory.

I am seriously thinking about going back to using Mcarty's, any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

playing c# on a 24 3/4" scale instrument can be problematic.you don't mention it in this post,but in your other post it sounds like your strings still don't have proper tension.

you could try 12s,but you would have to file your nut slots even wider.

and here is the main thing.different guages of strings require different intonation.so you WILL have to re intonate.but i don't think you will have much luck with it while your strings are effectively slack.

you will have the same problem with the prs.

i built a 24 3/4" instrument and it turned out to be a very bright,harsh sound because of the wood choice,so i later tuned it to c#..with 11s,just like you.

the string tension is a bit loose...i need to move up to 12s with it,but i have not yet.

but mine is properly intonated,because i have a bridge that allows a wider range of movement than a t.o.m.

i guess buying a les paul baritone is out of the question for you?because that would sound much better in that tuning.

but if you must use what you have...slide on up to 12s,refile your nut slots(do it properly or you will have tuning problems) and if your intonation range is not sufficient to compensate...look into a replacement t.o.m. with a wider range of adjustment.such as the gotoh or the tone pros.

if you don't think you can do this properly,take it to a tech and tell him what you want.your guitar will thank you.

and i hear no mention of truss rod adjustment from you.if you tuned down to c# without checking this,then you should probably just take it to a tech.nothing wrong with taking it in.

try some "Not even Slinky's" They're set up for normal tension when Tuned to C. Petrucci used them on the Train of Thought album

Thanks so much guys...I left a full reply on the other topic...sorry for the newbie mistake. I am going to try a set of the Not Even Slinkys and see if I can get there.

Thanks VERY much, for your help!

try some "Not even Slinky's" They're set up for normal tension when Tuned to C. Petrucci used them on the Train of Thought album

hmmm? :D

well i guess you learn something new every day B)

Hey I went down to the local guitar doc today and he suggested that I try a Buzz Feiten Tuning System along with Ernie Ball Not even Slinkys' (56 for a bottom) . He said that it will virtually eliminate the intonation problems (being sharp) that plauge most guitars in frets 1-3. He sold me on it so I am having one put on my Les Paul Classic. Any thoughts on the Buzz Feiten? Here is there website www.buzzfeiten.com

Thanks

They didnt say anything about needing a special tuner.....am I missing something?

yes, electronic tuners. check buzzfeiten.com. it cites tuners, like the Korg DT-7, which suitable for use with BFTS equipped instruments.

They recommend the Korg, but I think that you really just need an accurate tuner that will tell you how many cents off you are because with the system you have to tune the strings to slightly off prefect tune - This is just what I think I remember from reading about it before, I could be way off here.

You need thicker strings, at least a 60 on the E. Even Zakk goes heavier than that when tunning to C#

from the GHS site

60-10 and 70-10 respectively. and remembre that it will be a bit hard to intonate with the TOM because of the thicker string, but it's not impossible, proven by the man himself

Signature Set - GBZW

Zakk uses this set when using standard tunings and some drop tunings with Black Label Society and Ozzy Ozbourne.

Signature Set - GBZWLO

Zakk uses this set when using lower than normal drop tunings. The heavier gauges on the low E string provides more tension and snaps back better at lower tunings

http://www.ghsstrings.com/

then click on products.