A Few Fingerboard Q's

I'm going to get a pre slotted ebony board, and am going to be installing block inlays. I was wondering do you guys like non-radiused fretboards, or radiused?? Stewmac's only has 24 frets, I kinda like 22. What are the pros cons of having 24. BTW I'm making an sg with 2 p90s. I guess the 24 frets would solve my pickup placing problem, but I am a little leery. Oh yeah, I'm gonna be binding it, and is it too hard to taper them to the correct gibson width?? Can I just get stewmac to do that themselves?? Does stew have 22 fret, boards on special demand?? Thanks

Oh, the pickup thing........ Like, I was wondering why on the sg's with p90s they don't slam it right next to the fingerboard. It's cause the bevels from the horns are there, so on 24 frets you can put it next to the fingerboard. You won't get that "Sweet Spot" Or whatever, but it'll look better. I will call up stewmac, I've only heard good thing about their CS.

I will never know why Gibson didn't put those 2 frets at the end of the neck and left that ugly space between the neck and the pup. Tommi Iomi always told Gibson to do it and now after ages they are doing it to their SG Supreme and the Iomi model. Why will you leave those out and only have 22 frets, it ain't like the 2 frets are going to make the neck joint weaker, it will add strenght if anything. You just have to compensate at the neck pocket if you are worried about strenght.

SG Supreme

Tommi Iomi Epi

Put those frets there, the SG deserves better!!!! :DB)

Common guys....

Well in the absence of answers, I'll pipe up. Be warned though, my first inlay job (Trapezoid inlays) has just met my own personal Wall of Death in a Drak style as they were.......lets just say it rhymes with "height" B)

Logic tells me that a flat board would be better, I always work on the assumption that I should try to keep everything as square as possible until the last minute, when you can shape things. BUT you can put a rail on either side of the fret board and use that as the flat base for the router. I think it's a matter of preference.

There are a few discussions about this in this section. Have a browse through, but I'm not sure if they started as this topic or not.

Hope this is of some help. Like I said though, I'm useless at inlays I'm just regurgating what I've heard and what my very limited experience has told me :D

Like Maiden says, why cover the gap between the neck and pickup with an ugly plate when you can cover it with a fretboard? Just because the frets are there doesn't mean you have to use them.

If however you insist on using 22 frets, here's a little secret for you.... cut off the fretboard at the 23rd fretslot - voila, 22 fret board. :D

As for inlaying before or after radiusing, this came up a little while ago - either is fine. I inlayed my trapezoids on a radiused board and it worked out OK. I just taped two pieces of scrap down either side of the board so the router had a level surface to ride on.

Do a search, this is a big controversy, I will not chip in because I havent done intricate inlays or necks, just dots and scallop a few necks. But Clavin and Jereemy both radius and then inlay, and they are some of the best ones here at that! if it work for them it sure will work for me!

And depending on what kind of inlay you are doing, if it is dot, just order 2 more, if it is block, you can leave the 24 without inlay like Carvin does.

Ahhh, I forget!

Patience grasshopper... we don't live in front of the PC, sometimes may take a while to get the answer but you will get it.

Oh, I'll probably just use flat then use coarse grit on the radius block.

There was a thread on this recently - whether to radius then inlay, or vice versa.

I just recently put block inlays into a non-radiused fretboard. They went in fine but when I radiused with a sanding block, I oversanded and some of the blocks cracked near the edge of the board. I had to replace them which was a pain. After that learning, my next fretboard with blocks came out great. Just be careful with the sanding if you inlay flat. :D

Thanks for the carvin link, it looks good. And john, what did you mean by being careful??? Just going slow and checking alot?? Also what is the tang and what's a crown. Sorry, I'm just a fretboard tard. Oh, I've also noticed on binded fretboards where the frets are it kinda cuts into the middle of the binding. How do they do that?? Does the binding just get pressed in, or do they cut it, or?? Thanks

I suggest you do some background reading, you may have heard folks round here mention 'Make Your Own Electric Guitar' by Melvyn Hiscock. Buy a copy and you won't need to sweat the basic stuff. Really, if you're asking what tangs and crowns are you need to do some more homework!