Favorite Gibson Amp

monkey69962000

In their day, Gibson made probably more models of amps than any other company out there. Gibson make a friggin' SLEW of amp models.

Look up the 'ekabjan' site, it's the best site for old Gibson amps.

Or 'holiday for strings', same place.

I had a 1948 BR-6, it was cool enough, tweed-like, for bedrooms or studios only tho.

Pretty cool, it had 1-10" field-coil speaker, 2-6V6, 1 5Y3, 2 6SN7's, which you could switch out for 2 6SL7's (100% gain) for a more overdriven sound.

Old Gibson Amp Motherlode Site

Wow, it's been several years since I've been to the site, they changed it around a little.

If you go to the 'BR Series' link section and look to the right at the BR-6, that's my amp, but if you read underneath where it says 'earlier models had only 2 inputs, that was my amp, one of the earlier models with two inputs, that pic shows a model with 3 inputs, but my amp looked identical to the one in the pic there.

GIBSON amp models. Not pignose, fender, or anyother brand. And Dave, you should go to the nearest Guitar Center and try out the one or two gibson amps they have. They are now very expensive so guitar centers only carry like one or two at a time sometimes, just like JEMs. My guitar centers have only 2 in stock at a time.

Oh and the Br6, i found the schematic for it. Its pretty simple compared to the rest of the amps i have looked at. Looks cool though. So who else has a favorite GIBSON amp.

Edited by monkey69962000

The Gibson reissues? Pfft!

A few years ago, I A/B-ed an old gibson amp against one of those 'Goldtone' series.

It was like night and day- like the difference beween a JCM800 and a valvestate.

I was told that it was some trace elliot design (or the same amps designers designed it).

Not at all worth the price, IMHO.

The reissue wasnt as responsive, was more compressed and was far more brittle upon break up.

Cant remeber the vintage model, but that was, to be honest, a VERY good sounding amp.

Luke

GIBSON amp models. Not pignose, fender, or anyother brand. And Dave, you should go to the nearest Guitar Center and try out the one or two gibson amps they have. They are now very expensive so guitar centers only carry like one or two at a time sometimes, just like JEMs. My guitar centers have only 2 in stock at a time.

Oh and the Br6, i found the schematic for it. Its pretty simple compared to the rest of the amps i have looked at. Looks cool though. So who else has a favorite GIBSON amp.