installing trem post bushings

I'm considering installing new trem posts in one of my floyd guitars. As it is, it's routed for the wood-screw type and I'm thinking I should install threaded bushings instead. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this? what kind of drill bits to use etc.?

we wouldn't happen to have any tutorials on this would we?

No tutorials as of yet, You are going to need sharp wood cutting bit's of course that are about the same diameter of each anchor minus the fin's so that they have to be squeezed into the hole.

When you go to drill the holes be sure to meassure the length of the anchors and mark your drill bit with a piece of masking tape so you have a depth guide as the bit goes in.

It's better to do it with a drill press for sure if you have one available.

I have access to a drill press. doing it freehand would probably result in a messup similar to what I did to my strat... :D

when you say "wood cutting bit", are you talking about those really flat bits?

the "really flat bits" are called forstner bits. but i wouldnt use one of those, it might "walk" on you. but personally i think they cut the nicest hole! so if you can find one the size that you need what you can do is drill a pilot hole like

1/ 16 and drill to the depth you need. then clamp the body to the drill press table ( carefully!) maybe with something scratch resistant under it and something on top of it were the clamp is going(you dont want to mark the body.) then use the forsner bit and go slowly !

set the depth on the drill press so it automatically stops at the correct depth for both bits. just take your time and remember to protect th body with something!

• 4 weeks later...

maybe I should be using the wood-screw posts for a while just to get it going (don't know when I will be able to re-size the holes).

The recessed part of the holes for each screw is oversized (the post is only supported by the threaded part of the hole from what I can see). what effect will this have on stability? will the holes deform as a result? hate it when mistakes like these seem to be made at the factory of a high-end guitar-manufacturer...

The holes will deform eventually with trem use. I finally discovered that with my wood screw Floyd posts. Tuning stability was terrible. I finally took the trem off and noticed I could rock the posts back and forth in the hole quite a bit. This is from years of use however. You may be OK in the short term. But anchors are something that need to be done. It's just so easy. I did mine freehand - I couldn't fit the body under a drill press - and they came out a little big but I epoxied them in and they are solid as a rock now.

ok, seems I'm closing in on the date for the modification to take place... how does this sound then:

I'll use a drill press and make the hole using a standard 10 mm drill bit (maybe I should be getting a brand new bit just for this operation). I could also use a 10 mm router bit. I'll then use a hammer and a small piece of wood to press the bushings down into the body.

will this work?

is there any chance of the wood splitting, turning my oh so fine guitar into just another piece of wood?

sorry to be going on and on and on about this project, but I'd rather be a pain in your asses than screwing this one up.