Which Booster Project?

Twitch

I'm interested in making a booster. I've been doing some research on a couple different sites and have seen a lot of different projects that look interesting. I'm not looking for an insane boost, just one to push my strat enough so that I can get some blues breakup, or a clean boost, on the clean channel of my Classic 30.

What booster would you suggest I make? Rangemaster? Sparklebooster? What would you advise for my first pedal?

If you're looking for a clean, uncolored boost, i'd recommend the AMZ MOSFET boost - if you want to color your sound, you'll have to pick your poison. My personal favorites are the Brian May Trenble booster and its variants, and the AMZ minibooster (you know, the one Mike Fuller stole to make his Fat Boost®). Or make a pair and wire up a Brown Sound In A Box! :D

Keep in mind, a clean boost in front of a clean amp is going to get quite dirty if you start putting the juice to it. If you want a booster that'll give you some grit without overdriving the amp, the minibooster is my choice. For a real distortion box (and they're all distortion boxes, whether you call it "gain", "overdrive", "distortion" or "fuzz"), the BSIAB I mentioned earlier is nice, and the Runoff Groove Double D is a nice dual-channel distorter that I love the sound of, and while I'm not their biggest fan, the TS/Fulldrive/Sparkledrive variants are all well worth a listen if you're looking for amp-like distortion. The BSIAB can be found here, the Double D here, and the TS variants here.

Again, these are the ones I like - you may hate 'em, so hunt down some sound clips before you start building. Keep in mind that I'm one of those guys who thinks all Peavey solid-state amps reek on ice, so if that's what you're into, you'll probably be happier with something else. :D

lpb1 with a .22input cap 1uf output cap 100k pot and a darlington mpsa13 way too much boost freakin insanse for a boost pedal.. lol try it you wont' be disapointed

hhhmm, now why didnt i think of making a mini booster pedal with a darlington. cheers for the idea ansil man. ill give that a try when i have the time

The Peavey Classic 30 is a tube amp though.

Yeah, maybe I need to clear that up - I'm generally a fan of Peavey tube amps, but I hate the TransTube® stuff, and the earlier solid-state amps were even worse. They do have a distinct distortion sound that a lot of people seem to dig, though, so again, if you're into the Bandit® overdrive sound, you probably won't like the same distortion boxes I do. Different strokes, use whatever makes you happy.