No Results With Strawberry Ice

rockthe40

alright, last night i wired my strawberry ice switch up to my les paul output jack and had no results so i thought ok, the PUPs arent high enough output. but tonight i bought a multimeter and checked em out. they both read an even 8.0 ohms. i wired it up again, no results. i even tried it on my tele wired in parallel which reads like 17 ohms (8.0 on each PUP though so i tried that too)! so im guessing im now wiring it right as that would be the only thing i could be doing wrong (ive triple check and quadruple checked the wiring on the switches and its all right). arent i supposed to just attach the ground on the switch to the output ground and hot off of the diodes to the hot on the jack, just to test it out?

hey man, i didn't mean to ignore your last pm yesterday... i just got swamped.

actually the bat41's and 46's will both work so i've got to believe that it's your switch or the way the switch is wired..try this..take two of the diodes and twist the leads together with each one facing a different direction..i.e. pos to neg and neg to pos. and then just solder them directly to the output jack..one lead to pos and one to neg. turn your treble up a good bit on your amp and crank the volume up and give it a try. if it works that way then there's something else going on with your wiring.

well i'm confused now. :D the bat41 is the diode that i use. so if you're sure that you have those then they'd be rated the same as mine. when i first started experimenting i ordered 6 or 7 different diodes and some didn't work. it's been a while though so i couldn't tell you which ones.

but if you have the bat41's and you're sure that the black ring around one end of each one is facing in the opposite direction when you tie them together and you've wired one lead to the pos and one to the neg of the jack and it still doesn't work then i'm lost. it could be the pups or the amp or you could have made diodenicus, the god of overdrive mad. B)

if you have a digital camera you might take a pic of it all and post it so we can see what's up. other than that i don't know what to do. sorry man. i wish i could be more help.

the jackthe jack and switch wiredthe switch wiring

sorry for the bad pics.. my camera is real shitty. thats the closest i can get it without the thing going all out of focus. on the switch, the brown wire is the ground and the blue is the hot. on the jack both the ground and hot are in heatshrink tube so its hard to see that they are both wired right. hope yall can make somethin out of this

well, i dont believe you right on that, but you could be as i dont half know what im talking about. all these other guys are getting this thing to work, but not me so i dont know what the problem is. i turn my multimeter on ohms and check the connections to make sure the diodes arent messed up and current is passing through. ive also read everywhere that the PUPs must be putting out atleast 8k ohms which the PUPs on both my guitars do

:confused:

Andrey, you're right if we're talking silicon signal diodes, but Germanium diodes and Schottky diodes have a lower forward voltage. Ge clips at about .35v and some Schottkys as low as .25v. The diodes he's using are rated at the lowest Vf I've ever been able to find, so even fairly mild pickups should at least clip on the attack.

RT40, I'm at a loss -everything looks right, best i can tell. :D

Andrey, you're right if we're talking silicon signal diodes, but Germanium diodes and Schottky diodes have a lower forward voltage. Ge clips at about .35v and some Schottkys as low as .25v. The diodes he's using are rated at the lowest Vf I've ever been able to find, so even fairly mild pickups should at least clip on the attack.

RT40, I'm at a loss -everything looks right, best i can tell.  :D

Could you give me a link to a specific diode to buy? I'll probably be using it with single coils.

aastrawice.jpg

well wired it up right off of the wiper of the vol pot where the circuit finishes and still didnt work and i put the wire going to the jack on the wire of the first diode with the 2 diodes connecting before that as pictured in unclej's diagram (didnt think it would matter either way but had to give it a try). so i drew you guys up a diagram of exactly what it looks like since the pics are hard to see

If you're going to use diodes and an opamp, do yourself a favor and put them in the feedback loop, not on the output - the Runoff Groove Tube Reamer is probably the simplest example, but the Fulldrive, Sparkle Drive and all the Tube Screamer variants use that configuration. They simply sound so much smoother (and more amp-like) to me. As always, YMMV!

well as i shouldve assumed from the time it wouldnt work, my pickups dont have high enough output. last night my friend brought over this kids fat strat and the bridge humbucker read 10k so i tried it out and it works. so thanks to everyone who helped out

one last question though, whats meant by "ground loop"? i think its where individual wires are grounded on different spots instead of one central grounded spot

• 9 months later...