2 New Projects For The Year

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok that's It Im going to have To come over there And force you to take some PIC'S!!! :D

I wnat to see that V man

!!METAL MATT!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, last sunday i got my jem fretboard sanded down (leds and binding) up to 320, then i went into town only to find that no one had any really fine grit sand paper, i ended up going to paintmart and they had a whole bunch, so now im just waiting for the weekend to roll aorund again so i can work and sand it up too 2000 grit, cant wait to see how good she comes out, she is already so smooth and looks so nice and thats only with 320 :D:D . I took the fretboard to school to show my shop teacher an update, everyone if every class asked if they could see it, so i lit it up and you should have seen the expression on peoples faces over just a few lights in a fretboard haha, talk about a crowd pleaser everyone should try this lol.

• 4 weeks later...
*PICS* COUGH COUHG *PICS*

Dont know if u took the time to read the last couple of post above but i dont have a camara right now.

Today i finished my flying v fretboard up to 2000 grit and started sanding my jem neck. Right now im getting everything ready for trussrod glueing and fretboard attachment, im hoping to do this sometime this week.

Alright quick update, stole my brothers camara lol and got some quick pics, not the best but its a start. i will take some better ones toamrrow when i get home from school. Here are the pics (note im horrid with a camara, im learning and getting a little bit better)

Picture009.jpg

This is the plastic top a shop cut in town vs one that im cutting myself, (note, the one im cutting still has the protective plastic on it)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB.../Picture008.jpg

One with no flash.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB.../Picture004.jpg

Both boards lit up at the sametime.

Lots of work done today, i skipped school lol, who needs school when you have guitars to build? Not me :D today i broke my router back out and finally finished the bodys up. The jem just needed the battary cavity cleaned up, so i did that along with made the lip for the plastic covers to sit on. The V needed a whole electionic cavity along with the lip so i did that as well. So the bodys are finally finished (with exception of the neck cavity being routed, but waiting till i finish up the necks to do that) and everything is starting to really starting to come together, Like i said before im giong to try and have the fretboards along with the truss rods glued in place this weekend. I definitly know i can to the truss rods, but my led wiring has been goofy, so i have to wait for my cousin to come to town, which will be this weekend or next. Ill keep u guys posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Well im about to cry.... I was working on my guitars tonight when i came inside and started showing my dad somethings, then he noticed something i didnt (please dont ask how i didnt catch this, or what i was doing when i did it) but i rounded my neck to far back for it to to connect to the body correct. I should have left more of a tenon, its really hard to explain, basicly where the fretboard ends, its rounded over so it wont connect to the body :D:D . So what im going to have to do is order a 24 fret fretboard and put new leds in it, which will allow me to use the same neck and have everything come out perfect. As upset as i am, im not to mad because this will allow me to go a different direction with this project, which i wanted to go but was to late. So a few things are going to change. I will have 24 frets instead of 22, and i didnt like the white binding as much as i thought i was going too so im going to use a natural flame binding which i think will fit this project much better then the white. Also where do u guys get ur wood bindings at? ill keep you guys posted... Also i have the other fretboard for anyone would be interested in buying it. Its 12" radius, 22 fret and green leds installed.

Alright, well ive ran into some problems and i have some questions. I went to route out my guitar body and ran into some complications. When i started this project i bought a set of templates for the JEM and the template that i was sent does not match all the demensions of the pdf instructions on on floyd rose home page. The templates are only off a few mm. I thought maybe he was just giving me some room to work with, but thought i asked first cause this is my first time installing a tremolo. So what do i do? Do i take the pdf demensions and use them or the template demensions and use them? Also how big is the heel on the back of a bolt on neck cause i need to route my neck cavity and dont know how far down to route it.

The Ibanez Edge route will not work for the Floyd Rose trem. I would get an Ibanez Edge off of ebay - Its a better trem anyways. If you insist on using a Floyd, make sure you radius it to follow the fretboard radius and use Floyd templates for routing the trem cavities.

It might be made for an ibanez trem... I never thought of that. If it is and i use a different trem will i be screwed? Or is it like a one size fits all to an extent type of thing? I was gonna use an over seas made cheap floyd rose

Do NOT, I repeat, Do NOT use a cheap floyd. You will regret it. The cheap ones will have tuning stability problems, the fine tuners won't be so fine as you'd like them to be and the knife edge will wear out quickly.

:D

Well, im going to be a little behind because ive been hit with a sickness that had laid me out good. So i doubt anything will get done this weekend, sorry guys. I am however getting my bro's digital camara tomarrow, so expect some pics.

Regarding routing the body, make sure that you route the neck pocket at an angle (or shallow enough) as per the original jem specs. It will make for a neck joint without shims.

How much of an angle

It comes down to having a depth to 18.9mm near the neck pickup (toward the bridges) and a depth of 19.4mm at the end of the end (towards the headstock); assuming you have the original neck heel joint.

If you're building a Jem with the all access neck joint, the measurement at the neck pickup will of course be slightly higher.

Edited by guitar2005

Okay, well mine is an AANJ, I took apart my Esp KH 202 to look at the neck joint and they used duck tape as a shim... Yeah i didnt realize duck tape could be use for that. But then again u know what they say duck tape can fix anything lol. What do u guys do to get your angle? Do it with a router? also what do u guys use for shims?

Got the jem body sanded with 60 today, the neck up to 100, tomarrow i am gonig to glue the truss rod in the jem neck. Im use a different truss rod this time then i did on my first gutiar, what do u guys use to glue ur truss rods in? On the hot rod i used bath tubb silicone, but this is a different truss rod should i use the same stuff?