Bodies... Why 2 Halves? And Why A Top Piece?

sorry for breaking through the whole quagmire of diction that is going on here, but im in the process of building my first guitar and it has a lot of similarities to the original post. The body is a solid piece of burled maple with a little spalting in it. It's a crazy piece of wood, and i've heard two different takes on my choice:

1. It will sound absoulutely horrible, "dead" i believe is the exact term that was used, and will be very heavy.

2. It will sound very sweet, very responsive over all, with a little accent on the highs. And will be very heavy.

It's based off a Cort guitar that my good friend was repairing, and i'm mainly going to be using it for Jazz and Blues, so i'm throwing some mighty mite vintage buckers in there, along with a maple neck.

I'm not really sure what the outcome will be, but if all else fails, i'll have a pretty guitar body to look at....

Any thoughts or comments? Suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time.

-the foriegn one

Hey x189player great to see you on PG (project guitar). Ya my point exatly. You cant add treble (well you can at the amp but it doesent sound as good as your guitar being high pitched). My guitar right now is made out of maple and i just roll that tone control back when I want to be darker. Of course I like ear spliting treble anyways :D