Maccasar Ebony Finish

Hey,

Im ordering my fingerboard this month, finaly, and Im trying to get a look of black with red grain, like the body of a Gibson Voodoo guitar. I want to have a fast playing neck. I was thinking the best way to do this is a tinted red gain filler on a maccasar ebony fingerboard. Do you think this would work? would it look better withg a clear coat over the top again? Do you think it would effect the fingerboard in terms of playability i.e. speed, tone etc.

Thanks

Ebony is usually used "as is" for finger boards. Rosewood too. Maple is usually finished. Ebony is a very hard and dense wood, and I don't think that staining it is going to do much good. On the other hand... If you do stain it, practice on some scrap and take pix.

Guitar Ed

i see some guitar companies paint the bodies necks and fingerboards (i think dean has a few. not sure :S) if you could stain the lightspots the red you want or whatever that might work, not really sure though so wait for others.

i dunno if its possible to make a mutli wood fingerboard, but if it is, go for it. you can use bloodwood and ebony! I really want to do that one day (if its possible to use multi lol) plus since its a voodoo of your own it would be cool to say that theres bloodwood involved. just make sure when cutting bloodwood you have a good mask and ventilation system (not the paper mask crap) cause bloodwood is pretty toxic when cutting.

-Jamie

Funny you mention bloodwood. I plan on using that to do inlays with. Problem is you cant get it over here in Ireland so Im gonna have to ship it over from the US. This fingerboard is costing me bout $80 in wood. $40 for the fingerboard preslotted including shipping and then $20 plus shiping for the blood wood!

Anyone know anywhere in Europe selling bloodwood. I checked on google and the main site but couldnt find any.

http://www.conklinguitars.com/facebass/6gallery/6swirl.html

Is that the bass?? Wow, amazing, i want that.

What is bloodwood anyways?

yepper, thats the one! And ya thats a BEAUTY. Too bad I oont play bass :D guess it's time to learn :D . I wanna do my next guitar like that. It's really easy to do. You just put the 2 peices on top of eachother and cut the 1 line (you better do a perfect job) than open it up and you have it. I already tested it and it's very easy to do.

O and bloodwood is a red wood. Dont know how to describe it more. It's hard and umm red B):D

Edited by Godin SD