Shielding Paint...any Other Name For It? Where?

GregA

Hi All,

I am looking for shielding paint for my guitar. I know that stew mac has some but was thinking that I may be able to pick some up locally. (Calgary, Alberta Canada) Any idea if this has another name in the industry that I could ask about? Or even better, where one could get this in Canada?

Thanks for any help!

Greg

I went through this saga a little while ago.

I am down in Australia and searched RF shielding paint etc on google.

What I found it was cheaper for me to get a can from Stewmac instead of local suppliers.

Regards

Greg

OK, I've never used this myself, but some of the DIY Stompbox forum guys have used Krylon's Magnetic Spray Paint in rattlecans to shield plastic and wooden boxes with good results. I offer no guarantees, but it does make sense, so if it's readily available and cheap locally, it might be worth a try.

Or you can use aluminum/aluminium foil and a hot glue gun ( I know that will work), and paint it black if it shows anywhere. :D

I toyed with the idea of using the Krylon magnetic paint, but I wasn't sure how well it would work. I ended up breaking down and ordering the copper tape from Stew Mac, which really irked me because the stuff is made here in town by 3M. I had to pay duty and taxes on stuff bought out of the country for stuff made here in the country!</rant>

Anyway, you can buy the stuff at Canadian Tire -- I can't recall the price off hand, but I think it was around $10 for a can.

i was just reading up on this today as im going to have to do it myself very soon (for the first time) my brothers a electronic tech, so hes going to help me.

he says copper tape is about the best out of what hes used before.

but.... in Dan Erlewine's guide to guitar repair, he says aluminium foil is fine for shielding (screening) applied with a hot glue gun. Melvyn Hiscock's complete guide to guitar building on the other hand says that aluminium foil "just isnt good enough".

before i was ready to take the cheaper option, but now im starting to have doubts. i dont want my guitar to look like a Smash robot for nothing?

has anybody else had good results with tin foil?