Trem bridges?

:D

I was thinking about building a new guitar and out of all the bridges which one do you guys think is the best with a whammy bar?

Floyd Rose, I heard you had to completly disasemble it if a string breaks.

Wilkonsons, I haven't heard too much about this

Bigsby, good?

Floating Trem, This looks the coolest but I heard it had bridge problems

Guest AlexVDL

I have a floating floyd rose on my strat and it has no recessed route B) I can pull up 2 tones!!

strat.jpg

(I have a big neck angle so the trem hangs high above the body :D )

Completely disassemble?

Not quite.

Your guitar will go out of tune, and you need to have some allen wrenches handy to replace a string.

You unlock the nut, and you unlock the "pad" in the bridge itself, snip off the ball end of the new string, insert it into the bridge, tighten the "pad", feed the string through the nut (unless you remove the locking pad completely), feed the string into the tuner, snip of the excess, wind it up, stretch the string (repeatedly, for tuning stability), tune, lock the nut, and you're good to go.

Back in the day, when I was really up to speed, I could change a complete set of strings, and intonate the sucker in about 15-20 minutes.

With a good quality "Floyd" (one that stays in tune, no low-end cheap crap!) the only drawback is that you go out of tune when you break a string.

yes i reccomend floyd or kahler flatmount.or ibanez edge.floyd trems are simple.if you break a string you just replace it with the same guage and it will be fine.always use the same guage strings to increase simplicity in restringing.there are some tutorials on the main site which show you how to set up these trems.

Completely disassemble?

Not quite.

Your guitar will go out of tune, and you need to have some allen wrenches handy to replace a string.

You unlock the nut, and you unlock the "pad" in the bridge itself, snip off the ball end of the new string, insert it into the bridge, tighten the "pad", feed the string through the nut (unless you remove the locking pad completely), feed the string into the tuner, snip of the excess, wind it up, stretch the string (repeatedly, for tuning stability), tune, lock the nut, and you're good to go.

Back in the day, when I was really up to speed, I could change a complete set of strings, and intonate the sucker in about 15-20 minutes.

With a good quality "Floyd" (one that stays in tune, no low-end cheap crap!) the only drawback is that you go out of tune when you break a string.

ok cool beans thanks

But now there's the new Speedloader Floyd Rose. With no need of allen wrenches. You can change a string in... mmm... they say a couple of seconds, but I think a little more time is needed.

But you have to buy Speedloader strings :D

Anyway, I forgot to say, Kerry King of Slayer (that as many of you know is a heavy whammy bar addict... I mean, if you see it sometimes it seems like he's going to pull that f****ng bridge out of his guitar) uses Original Floyd Rose and Kahler.

Anyway, I forgot to say, Kerry King of Slayer (that as many of you know is a heavy whammy bar addict... I mean, if you see it sometimes it seems like he's going to pull that f****ng bridge out of his guitar) uses Original Floyd Rose and Kahler.

i have been a fan of him since the 80s and even though his signature guitars have floyd or kahler as an option i have never seen him use a floyd.kahler is his preffered trem.but you are right he uses the sh**t out of it.(in a good way)

Actually a Floyd is only a floating trem if the body has a recessed trem route

nope, a Floyd Rose style trem is a floating trem unless you block it. The recessed route is only a way of lowering the trem into the body and giving a wider range for pulling up on the trem.

It really annoys me that so many people don't know the difference between "floating" and "recessed". I've come across people who know just about everything about their floyd but still think that "non-recessed" means "non-floating"...