Carbon Rod Neck Reinforcement

Hi guys.

A while ago i expressed interest in making an 8 string guitar and installling carbon graphite rods in the neck was recommended to me.

I have already routed for the truss rod but i'm unsure of how long of the rod i should be installing into my neck parallel to the truss rod.

I'm also wondering what the point of the truss rod is going to be if these things have absolutely no flex in them.....

I'm also wondering what the point of the truss rod is going to be if these things have absolutely no flex in them.....

They definately have flex in them. They make the neck stronger but not unadjustable.

I have already routed for the truss rod but i'm unsure of how long of the rod i should be installing into my neck parallel to the truss rod.

The instruments using carbon rods I saw so far had them running parallel to the truss rod and for the whole length of the trussrod. I would do that at least. I think it would be even better to run them from the heel of the neck and through to the peghead to make the peghead/neck joint even stronger. I never installed carbon rods although I planned to do so and have them here, so I can only tell you what I saw and what common sense tells me. I recommend waiting for some comments of people who actually used them.

what king of rods are you using, square or round, look at Wes thread if you have the squares ones, and look here if you got the roung ones, I love the way Myka do this, I think that they will look killer with the rods showing instead of covering them with the venner, either way they will help a lot,

Also to my understanding the reason for the thruss rod is to correct for the foward bow of a neck when strung, so the straighter the neck the better. If the neck won't flex foward the less work the thruss got to do.