Mockingbird Copy

OK, i'm new to this guitar making thing so i'm gonna need some help!

I wanna make a slightly altered version of a B.C.Rich Mockinbird, i have the design i want drawn out but its abot 1/4 or less of the scale and i don't know how to enlarge it to accurately be full size. I want if poss a neck thru guitar (purely for aesthetics, someone tell me if the tone isn't great on them!) with a 2 tone effect - like this bass - bcrich_mock_shthn_whole_sm.jpg

I know how i'm gonna do it i got that all sorted but there is one more question - how can i be so accurate with the fret distances, they're to like 3d.p's of a mm - how can i get taht accurate? please someone help me

try making a grid around the design and drawing out a larger grid on some cardstock and just copy each individual square.

also i agree with wes, a mockingbird looks best and sounds best neckthru. it looks good, it has great sustaining power, its very sturdy if you get your joints strong, and neckthru gives it that authentic bc rich-ness(for lack of a real word to describe it)

cheers guys, what about woods? i like the colours of the bass (which is maple and rosewood) but i am open to ideas, the project won't be underway until around may so any help up until then will be a help, i will document my progress on my website (which isn't properly up yet so i won't post a link)

i'll post a pic of the design soon so poeple can see

oh and does anyone know where i can buy premade freboards in theUK then 'cause i've searched the net and all the results come back as "how to make" or "fretboard roadmaps - (chord books)" - so if anyone knows i would apreciate the help!

Edited by herbie

2 more things - firstly - aimed at wes cos i know that he's made neck thru guitars before - what sort of size wood do i need and where is the best place to join it together?

and secondlyany ideas for a wiring scheme for my pickup lay-out - h-s-h - 'cause i am currently trying to wok out costs and will need to take the electronics in to account

not including electronics and with some estimated prices i am currently spending £720 - $1,345.64 so i think my max is £1000

Edited by herbie

2 more things - firstly - aimed at wes cos i know that he's made neck thru guitars before - what sort of size wood do i need and where is the best place to join it together?

that depends entirely on the dimensions of the guitar,whether or not you are making a multi laminate neck,whether or not you have a neck angle,a headstock angle,a scarf joint,whether or not you intend to make it standard thickness,whether you have a top or not and if so how thick it is....

where to join it is also entirely up to you...i follow the neck taper all the way through the body ,except on the one in the tutorial,on which the taper ended at the end of the fretboard,and it stayed 2 1/4" from there all the way through

and secondlyany ideas for a wiring scheme for my pickup lay-out - h-s-h - 'cause i am currently trying to wok out costs and will need to take the electronics in to account

again...up to you,but i would go h-h...because itis cheaper and the middle pickup bother me,as it is in my picking path

not including electronics and with some estimated prices i am currently spending £720 - $1,345.64 so i think my max is £1000

that is plenty.i buld most of mine for around $600.

i can give you some tips for lowering your prices.

first off...buy your wood from a local cabinet shop or hardwood shop...all the wood together ,not including the fretboard,should cost about $60..the fretboard should cost about $25 preslotted.

are you using a t.o.m.?if so,use the money you save on wood for tonepros hardware...an upgrade well worth the money....or if you want a combination wraparound bridge...save your money and get the aluminum one here

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailp...und_Bridge.html

or elsewhere if you can find it cheaper...try universaljems.com...it is owned by the owner of this website and he offers great prices on everything he stocks.also try him for other parts.

if you go with a figured top,you can get AA stuff very inexpensively from cabinet shops.if you MUST have AAAAA stuff...just keep your eyes peeled and good luck.

with that kind of scratch i could build a very nice guitar with top quality EVERYTHING.