Les Paul Studio Overhaul

ripsrv

ok guys the 87 studio {artic white but rought} needs refretting s i figured new inlays would be hot and why not repaint it while im there. im also soon to build a V so i have a few ideas and i want your opinions on which guitar to do each with... i was thinking for the les paul i was gunna do an old tobacco sunburst fadded stlye finish. like a brwon to yellow so it looks old not black to yellow. i thought of vine inlays but that might look wired with that color. the v i thought of a silver metalic/flake,with a black burst fith a narly fleam or viny inlay but then i thougt of doint the same one the oposite gutias im not sure help m,e out guys

Edited by ripsrv

You could sell it and buy a couple Grizzly LP kits.  Then you could try both finish ideas... swap out pickups for better, play around with less at stake if it doesn't turn out well, while you're getting experience.

i agree...and then someone gets a nice lp and you get alot of practice.but as you don't intend to sell it...i would just take it in for a professional refretting,and still buy those grizzly kits.

i just looked at the grizzly kits and could nto find a les paul style kit. another thing, they dont require anyhting but paint assembly and headstock shaping. basiaclly all the work is done. i wont be able to get any fretting/inlay practice. electronics to a degree are rather easy to do. the only thing they would really help me on is the finish but i can always sand it off if i screw up on my les paul. i think illtry my hand at a v and then deside when they are ready what finish i will use so i can play me v while the gibson is down another question i had was on the headstock, if i repaint it i will erase the les paul sig. and the gibson lable and what not. how do you do that when your done? get a gibson inlay and another one to voer the old les paul sig.? thanks again guys

Edited by ripsrv

A good friend of mine painted his early '80s Les Paul XR-1, the studio model before the "studio, banana yellow and put a Chiquita banana sticker on the headstock.

I'd say, do whatever you want to do with it. I wouldn't go so far as to refinish the headstock, but as far as the body and inlays go, just do it!

Just be prepared to have to live with an instrument that may not be as nice as when you originally bought it. On the other hand, you might have some spectacular results. Remember, if anything bad happens, you can just strip all the new finish off and paint it black.

Besides, ruining yours just makes all the others worth more, and I haven't seen too many collectable Studios yet.

i was gunna do the neck too because it is also painted. the whole guitar is white. there is no tbinding so i was plaing to rout the side and add binding and paint it. after looking sdme more i really like the honeyburst{brwon t yellow} jobs. as already pointed out, it is a studio les paul and is never gunna be in the same realm as a 57 goldtop.

as already pointed out, it is a studio les paul and is never gunna be in the same realm as a 57 goldtop.

your choice...but if things continue the way they are and mahogany guitars are nixed because of conservation issues,an original mahogany lp studio might be very sought after.

long shot i know...but i just mod those cheap korean axes.