Sapphire Blue Stain

RGGR

If the shade is what you want, just dilute it down more with solvent. Way down. You can always layer multiple coats to get it dark enough. Remember that most dye stains have a quirk. The first coat tends to open the grain so that sucessive coats seem to darken more proportionately than the first coat.

You have to make your own mix, that's why Stew sells the basic colors, just add some green and yellow and make it thin.  But if you can get a stain that is close to the color you want get it!

You don't have to make your own dye at all, although you can get exactly the color you want by doing so. Lockwood's has nearly every color in the rainbow. Here is a link to Constantines, which carries a very limited inventory of the Lockwood aniline dye.....There is a bright blue offered .......A few years ago I bought out a woodworking store's inventory of Lockwood dye.....I have over 150 different colors in water, alcohol, and oil type powders. I have Bright Blue, Peacock Blue, Royal Blue and Emerald.... thats just what I can remember. I haven't made any color chips, but I'm thinking that Lockwood's Peacock Blue is the dye or very close to the color of the "Sapphire Blue" guitar.

http://www.constantines.com/index.asp?Page...odID=2001&MMP=1

• 3 weeks later...
Where to buy this type of Sapphire blue wood stain.....

8BlueBichAngleBackofBodyagainsttree.jpg

The stuff Stewmac sells is way too dark.

This finish is strange, it's dyed the main blue color, but it also has a blue pearl added to the clearcoats - that's what makes it special. So, in the end, it's a dye+tinted clearcoat+pearl finish. The pics don't show this well, but you see it up close, and the pics are nothing compared to seeing it in person. SWEET!