Chameleon Paint?what Is The Real Name For It?

Radius540

You're not gonna find it at your home improvement store.

Try your local automotive specialty supplier. In Richmond, Va. Herald Sales carries all of this kind of good stuff. They also can tell you the basics of application.

The last quart that I bought cost me about $225.00, and I have a commercail shop. Yeah two hundred and twenty five dollars. Ouch.

There are also some internet suppliers who stock it.

A quart will do a bunch of bodies, but it is the devil to use if you don't use a gun on a regular basis.

It does not come in rattle cans, so you need to have a good spray rig.

Boy does it look neat when done right.

You can get it in spray bombs. It's not nearly the quality (or price) of real automotive chemeleon, but Dupont Mirage kits are about $20 for a special black primer, color coat (you have several different color options), and top coat. My guess is that you'd need 2 kits for a whole guitar, though. Do a forum search, it's been discussed before.

edit: beat me to it. Since when is Dupont a *pottymouth* company? They are the only comapny that makes duplicolor paints.

yeah i know. sorry wrong end of the stick. The sprays aren't the best thing since sliced bread, but a hell of a lot cheaper than an air compressor, spray gun, the paint and being able to use the damned things!

i suppose the easy way to do it is to get some car/bike spray shop to do it for you? they could probably get the paint cheaper too.

Edited by Sambo

yeah i know. sorry wrong end of the stick. The sprays aren't the best thing since sliced bread, but a hell of a lot cheaper than an air compressor, spray gun, the paint and being able to use the damned things!

i suppose the easy way to do it is to get some car/bike spray shop to do it for you? they could probably get the paint cheaper too.

I believe the pgp name is CHROME ILLUSION...

I am very new to this project guitar stuff, so excuse me if this is a dumb question..

I am currently working on taking the paint off my Jackson Kelly guitar and i'd like to use the Purple/Green paint from the auto parts website on it. Would you need to put a coat of another color on, then that dupicolor stuff, or is there enough in 3 8oz bottles? I would assume the you might need to put something over it to get a glossy finish...

Thanks

There is enpugh and the 3 cans are 3 step, 1 black base 1 mirage and 1 clear coat. the clear won't be enough, you will need about 3 big cans of clear for the whole guitar. I could suggest you use other type of paint, since there are a few here including myself that have had problems with the clear drying time. Some are still soft to the touch after 4 months. You can get createx on chameleon colors, I haven't used this one yet, but I have used their pearl color and they are great. You can top with nitro, and it will be ready in about a week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

If you have a spray gun you may want to look up AutoAir paint. Its a waterbased paint that is compatable with urathane clear. It is used by airbrush artists and comes in small amounts.

And u guessed it they have inteference colors. check it out.

Autoair by dixie