making a simple amp

blackjack

id like to make an amp, nothing flashy, just something that plays clean. i think it would be quite a fun project.

tube amps are dangerous and the parts would be harder to get, so id like to make a solid state amp.

can anyone provide me with plans for a really simple amp? ive googled but they were all overkill when i just want somethijng simple.

Have a look at ESP Their are a number of projects including a solid state VOX AC30 simulator which I am currently building.

Have a look at R.G.Keens site GEO and search for the minitubes preamp project. It will need a simple power amp to go with it but a TDA 2005 or similar will do perfectly. That will give you about 20W but one of the other TDA chips will give lower powers (the 2003 is I think 5W) R.G. has a mistake on the parts layout, one of the FETs F5 is shown the wrong way around.

I've built the Minitubes Preamp with the TDA2005 for a power section. It sounds great, very tube like and only with a power rail of up to 30 volts, very safe!

I've got a drawing for a housing suitable for this size of amp. Perhaps Brian could put it up on the site if anybody is interested.

Keith

The tube amp parts won't be too hard to get it you purchase a kit (and most manufacturers don't bother with solidstate... I really don't know why. Most people go for tube anyway).

This Class A amp kit may be of some interest to you. It's a tube amp, but it looks pretty simple and at $50, pretty darn cheap too. http://www.stf-electronics.com/Page0015.Html

Amps, tube or solid state are about the simplest electronic devices around. It really is just a matter of plugging the correct devices onto a prepared circuit board.

However what seems simple to me. (I'm a formally trained electronics technician and software engineer) probably is very daunting to someone without some train ing and insight. I would still encourage you to have a go and learn a bit about what goes on, under the hood as it were, in your amp.

Building from a kit is a great way to start. The power amp I mentioned above cost about US$5 which included the PC Board Power amp chip and a few resistors and capacitors.

Have a look at the ESP site and read the project about the VOX AC 30 simulator.

Good Luck

Keith

anyone know if its even worth attempting to make a delay effects pedal or distotion pedal?!

Ive just learnt how to do the cool wierd harmonic solos and stuff, but they dont sound that amazing without all the spinkee effects like wah wahs and delays...

guitarist.gif

• 9 months later...

distortions are easy, delays are not to complex if you follow a good design, let me know what type of sound you need for dist, i got some kiler schemes..

and pcb layouts, my favorite that i didnt' design is the purplexed. it is killer marhsall boogie type sound, closest thing to tubes i have ever heard

http://geocities.com/cemaynard1134/Revisedperplexed.htm

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/bluespearper.html